The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Quote:
he looks more like a white chinese mixed with a super afican beacause of his dewlap

Nope, She is Dewlap African

Last edited:
zazouse, your property looks like bird heaven!
big_smile.png

Just wanted to clarify that true africans weigh 50 pounds and have lobes and a dewlap. Chinese geese have long slender necks no lobes and no dewlap and weigh much much less. Africans you get from hatcheries are really poorly bred chinese.
smile.png

Quote:
Where are you getting that info ?.. the weight is not right.

Brown African Geese (sometimes called Giant Dewlap African or Super African)
This is from ALBC "
"The mature African goose has a large knob attached to its forehead, which requires several years to develop. A smooth, crescent-shaped dewlap hangs from its lower jaw and upper neck. The dewlap may become ragged in shape as the bird ages. Its body is nearly as wide as it is long. It is keelless, and has a smooth, rounded abdomen with little or no fatty lobe development. The tail points up and folds up neatly. The eyes are large and deep-set (Holderread, 1981). A mature gander (male) averages 22 pounds, while a mature goose (female) averages 18 pounds (Malone, et. al., 1998). "

ive seen regular africans and they dont have dewlap ive seen super african geese that have dewlap i gotta admit these breeds are always confusing to learn...

Quote:

This is from ALBC "
"The mature African goose has a large knob attached to its forehead, which requires several years to develop. A smooth, crescent-shaped dewlap hangs from its lower jaw and upper neck. The dewlap may become ragged in shape as the bird ages. Its body is nearly as wide as it is long. It is keelless, and has a smooth, rounded abdomen with little or no fatty lobe development. The tail points up and folds up neatly. The eyes are large and deep-set (Holderread, 1981). A mature gander (male) averages 22 pounds, while a mature goose (female) averages 18 pounds (Malone, et. al., 1998). "

I told that person the same thing on a different thread.
hmm.png

Quote:

This is from ALBC "

I'm about as new as you can get about geese, but I have done my research on them and no where have I found that Africans get up to 50lbs..
hmm.png
I'm pretty sure that the chinese don't have a dewlap, and the stand up straighter? The super african might get a little heavier, but not as much as 50lbs.

Back
Top Bottom