The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Quote:
Where are you getting that info ?.. the weight is not right.

Brown African Geese (sometimes called Giant Dewlap African or Super African)
This is from ALBC "
"The mature African goose has a large knob attached to its forehead, which requires several years to develop. A smooth, crescent-shaped dewlap hangs from its lower jaw and upper neck. The dewlap may become ragged in shape as the bird ages. Its body is nearly as wide as it is long. It is keelless, and has a smooth, rounded abdomen with little or no fatty lobe development. The tail points up and folds up neatly. The eyes are large and deep-set (Holderread, 1981). A mature gander (male) averages 22 pounds, while a mature goose (female) averages 18 pounds (Malone, et. al., 1998). "

I'm about as new as you can get about geese, but I have done my research on them and no where have I found that Africans get up to 50lbs..
hmm.png
I'm pretty sure that the chinese don't have a dewlap, and the stand up straighter? The super african might get a little heavier, but not as much as 50lbs.

I just didn't want people to think they are 50 lb geese.
smile.png

Our Africans are big but but not as big in body bulk as our Dewlap Toulouse. Depending on posture they do often appear taller. A cross between the two breeds will often produce a heavy goose but unlikely to be over 30lbs.

Pete
wink.png

Hi GeorgeandMildredGoose - now thats a mouthful
wink.png

Welcome to the forum and thats 2 lovely geese you have there that are obviously well fed and cared for. Whats the story behind you homing them?

Pete
wink.png

Hi

We have Toulouse but we have only recently got our trio of Buff Africans. We're very pleased with their size and type but also want to acquire Browns to help maintain size and type.

Finally got my camera out to take some pics. Now mind you I was trying to take pics of only the africans and the chinas but everyone else kinda got in the way...

IMG_0034.jpg

They're in there somewhere!

Here we go just the africans.
IMG_0030.jpg

Even managed to find some of the chinese.
IMG_0023.jpg

Back
Top Bottom