The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Pics
They are different breeds. They are from the same species and a lot of people clump them together. There is the Chinese, Dewlap African and the hatchery African that does not have a dewlap and is between the 2 breeds in size. I'm not an expert, but that is what I have read.

You are pretty much correct. Most of the hatcheries don't have real Chinese or real Africans....they are usually somewhere in the middle. The Chinese should not have a dewlap and should have long thin necks. The Africans have massive thick necks, big bodies and a dewlap. As an example a old Chinese male should weigh 12 lbs and and old African male should weigh at least 22 lbs. Look up Holderread Waterfowl in Corvallis OR on the web to see the differences.

Walt

maybe they are wanting to be Papa to them? or are they wanting to mate?if they are causing a lot of stress to the goslings then you may want to think of keeping the boys separate from them until the girls are older.
The twins, George and Fred are 'meh' about them. Percy seems to want to be Daddy as he herds them closer to me. Ron wants them away from his girl, Sissy. It's Buddy who chases them the most. And if Buddy had accepted the gal we got for him, he'd be too busy to chase them. Buddy is our Toulouse that was mistakenly sent to us. We got a Toulouse gal from a farmer nearby, but it was late in the mating season.Poor Molly gets the cold shoulder.

I keep watch while the girls are outside. Timing-wise, they should be fully feathered about the same time the hormones settle down on the guys. I HOPE that calms at least Buddy down.

The twins, George and Fred are 'meh' about them. Percy seems to want to be Daddy as he herds them closer to me. Ron wants them away from his girl, Sissy. It's Buddy who chases them the most. And if Buddy had accepted the gal we got for him, he'd be too busy to chase them. Buddy is our Toulouse that was mistakenly sent to us. We got a Toulouse gal from a farmer nearby, but it was late in the mating season.Poor Molly gets the cold shoulder.

I keep watch while the girls are outside. Timing-wise, they should be fully feathered about the same time the hormones settle down on the guys. I HOPE that calms at least Buddy down.
My goodness sounds like a soap opera. LOL

LOL! The Days of Our Ganders. We are waiting for the girls to show their personalities so they get their names. Harry Potter has some odd girl names and I am wary of naming one of these gals 'Nymphadora'.
I would be too,
hide.gif

May I join? These are my two brown Chinese that are about 6 weeks old (sorry for the muddy water, ponds not finished yet)

These are Africans..note the dewlap under the bill.

These are Chinese. No dewlap. That is an African in the background....note difference in size.

Unless the geese come from waterfowl breeders, they are usually variations of these two types of geese. Good viable geese for pets or backyards never the less.

Walt

These are Africans..note the dewlap under the bill.

These are Chinese. No dewlap. That is an African in the background....note difference in size.

Unless the geese come from waterfowl breeders, they are usually variations of these two types of geese. Good viable geese for pets or backyards never the less.

Walt
I see that Walt but the geese in the post I was referring to haven't the knob not the dewlap.

Back
Top Bottom