The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Long time lurker on the other thread as well. It is kind of very scary there, so I have rarely spoken up.
Thank you for this thread and thank you for the kindness everyone has expressed here. It is a refreshing mix and I am so far, not too scared.

I have secretly sequestered my non standard Ameraucanas and not told anyone about them. I have black SOP showbirds to take to shows and do stuff with, and I adore them. They are very handsome birds. But are not yet reproducing. I am aching to hatch their kids and get going with that, but with winter, I guess they have decided now isn't a good time for laying. Three trios.

My secret Eastercana flock has a mix of non SOP birds that are DQ'd at shows, but that are otherwise lovely birds that I just couldn't give up. I regret giving away as many as I did, some of them being stunningly colored and typey Ameraucana type birds, just not the right feather/leg/eye color. But I did it thinking I was supposed to make only a certain bird for the shows.
*sigh*

So anyway, here I am. Finding your thread is a God-send and marks an exciting passage for so many of us, I believe.

Yesterday morning, four chicks hatched from my secret flock. Two roosters in the flock are an Andalusian blue, and a black/white splash, and two of the hens look pinkish/grey, and one is a mate to the Andy blue. I also have a buff colored hen (dunno what she is genetically) and a white hen.

For TW1Kell. Yes F1 is the first generation.I have F2 in the incubator now.Will show pics after they hatch.You will be able to see how the combs turn out.Should be 50% pea and 50% cushion.I should not have gotten lacing the first time but there it is.Maybe lacing was hidden on the female line.

I didn't think I would be keeping chickens as an adult either! It seems to be the one barnyard animal both my husband and I could agree on. Of course now that I have them I am absolutely hooked! We bought an incubator and have hatched out 3 batches of eggs so far. (None were shipped eggs, I have been practicing on my barnyard mixes while I figure out how to use my incubator), We also just had a broody hen hatch some eggs for us. I think there are pros and cons to both. These are the conclusions I have come to so far:

Incubator:
Pros - You can set eggs whenever you want, any time of year
You don't have to worry about a broody quitting halfway through the incubation period
In many models you can incubate more eggs, than a brood hen could
You have the ability to control the temperature and humidity.

Cons - You are at the mercy of electricity. Unless you have a generator, if the power goes out all of the embryos could possibly become chilled and die.
Some incubators are more difficult than others and involve more TLC. With some of the cheaper models, you basically have to turn your whole house into an incubator, or find a room that
has a very stable temperature.
The chicks aren't taught, how to be chickens. Chicks hatched in incubators may get pasty butt (something I have read but have not experienced yet). They also get intestinal flora from eating her droppings.

Broody Hen:
Pros - You don't have to do anything. The broody takes care of everything!
You don't have to worry about chicks learning to eat and drink, mama teaches them.
You don't have to provide a source of heat once chicks hatch, mama will keep them warm.

Cons - Some broody's will decide to steal eggs and add them to her clutch. If you don't mark the intitial eggs she will have a staggered hatch and in the end will probably decide to leave the nest to take care of the chic ks that have already hatched.
Some broody's will stop sitting halfway through the incubation period.
Broody's can't hatch as many eggs as an incubator can.
It may be necessary to have a seperate place to house a broody to ensure that other hens do not try to kill the chicks, and so that she can't decide to roost after the chicks hatch. (I have heard terrible stories about people finding dead frozen chicks in the morning).

Regardless of what you choose, do hatch some eggs! It is so much fun and addicting!

How are the broody hens manage to steal eggs? Even though we had chickens for about 20 yrs., never hatched or raised chicks, save for recently, we purchased day old chicks from a very nice, reputable breeder. This is the very first time we are experiencing raising baby chicks, and what a wonderful experience it is..savoring every moment of it : )
I am trying to visualize how they could to take away someone else's eggs? and couldn't come up with an answer..

How are the broody hens manage to steal eggs? Even though we had chickens for about 20 yrs., never hatched or raised chicks, save for recently, we purchased day old chicks from a very nice, reputable breeder. This is the very first time we are experiencing raising baby chicks, and what a wonderful experience it is..savoring every moment of it : )
I am trying to visualize how they could to take away someone else's eggs? and couldn't come up with an answer..

Haha! It's hard to imagine isn't is? Sometimes the other hens would lay their eggs next to the nest my broody was sitting on and she would somehow roll them into hers (I never caught her actually doing it. She was a very good broody and almost never left her nest). Other BYC members said theirs do the same thing. One person even said they saw there hen wedge an egg between her beak and chest and carry it to her nest. That one sounded a bit far fetched to me, but I guess it is possible. I marked the 6 original eggs she had been sitting on. Everyday when I went out to collect eggs I would check the ones she was sitting on. Everyday there were more than the original 6. One day I found 12! She's a sneaky little hen!

Haha! It's hard to imagine isn't is? Sometimes the other hens would lay their eggs next to the nest my broody was sitting on and she would somehow roll them into hers (I never caught her actually doing it. She was a very good broody and almost never left her nest). Other BYC members said theirs do the same thing. One person even said they saw there hen wedge an egg between her beak and chest and carry it to her nest. That one sounded a bit far fetched to me, but I guess it is possible. I marked the 6 original eggs she had been sitting on. Everyday when I went out to collect eggs I would check the ones she was sitting on. Everyday there were more than the original 6. One day I found 12! She's a sneaky little hen!
Usually other hens lay in the nest while the broody is feeding and doing her business.Twice a day is normal but some may only leave the nest once a day.

I am going to talk about a problem I had today.I have a LF splash cockerel over 5 pullets.He is very docile.Maybe too docile.Only 2 fertile eggs last week.Figured they may have been chilled as some were laying eggs on the ground.Got these pullets laying in the nests now.Did a spot check at day 4 today.No fertile eggs from this pen.So I go trim the cockerels vent feathers.Should solve the problem.This is not a common problem in ameraucanas.I bought this cockerel in october.So he is new blood.Now I have noticed LF are getting fluffier looking.Mostly lav,black,blue and buff has always had this due to orp being used.Fluff does make them look huge and they often place well.My personal view is that they should be able to breed without help.My pullets do not have that much fluff.I like to see the lower half of the drumstick.If the only leg you see starts at the knee then that is too much fluff in my opinion.

Now I have noticed LF are getting fluffier looking.Mostly lav,black,blue and buff has always had this due to orp being used.Fluff does make them look huge and they often place well.My personal view is that they should be able to breed without help.My pullets do not have that much fluff.I like to see the lower half of the drumstick.If the only leg you see starts at the knee then that is too much fluff in my opinion.

I expect the "problem" is making sure the judges don't start leaning toward the "just a little fluffier" ones. Eventually you end up with the "equivalent" of English Bulldogs. Just a LITTLE wider shoulder. Just a LITTLE narrower hip. Et viola, a breed that would be extinct in a generation if not for vets and C-sections.

I also appreciate your attitude (even though I'm not breeding anything). I'm reminded of a certain "class" of ice skating judges who try to keep the ranks close. Well, guess what? If you aren't welcoming to new people who want to spend a TON of their time AND money to learn the craft and become judges (which pays SQUAT), you'll all die off and there won't be any judges.

So, Jerry, thank you. The people you teach will be the "new" Jerrys one day.
big_smile.png

Bruce

I expect the "problem" is making sure the judges don't start leaning toward the "just a little fluffier" ones. Eventually you end up with the "equivalent" of English Bulldogs. Just a LITTLE wider shoulder. Just a LITTLE narrower hip. Et viola, a breed that would be extinct in a generation if not for vets and C-sections.

I also appreciate your attitude (even though I'm not breeding anything). I'm reminded of a certain "class" of ice skating judges who try to keep the ranks close. Well, guess what? If you aren't welcoming to new people who want to spend a TON of their time AND money to learn the craft and become judges (which pays SQUAT), you'll all die off and there won't be any judges.

So, Jerry, thank you. The people you teach will be the "new" Jerrys one day.
big_smile.png

Bruce
Well I remember what Frank Gary did for a bunch of upstarts.This is my chance to pay on that debt.I hope someday some of you will be able to lend a hand to the newbies.Its like helping someone who is stranded on the road.You don't owe me a thing just help the next person when you can.

Back
Top Bottom