The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

I was talking to a old farmer some days ago, and he found it very intresting that so much of the ameraucana standard is based off of color, and that the actual shape, laying ability, health, ect were all secondary traits. I have noticed with a lot of ameraucanas, that they're not as healthy, and I wonder if it is because of this? I have all EEs, the one hen that could pass off as an ameraucana happens to lay brown eggs ( even though both parent carried the blue egg gene) and the other three were feed store ''araucanas'' All these have been healthy, but my experiance with pure, show quality ameraucanas has been horrible. I'm starting to think it is because so many breeders are only breeding for looks, that they forget what is important. Any thoughts on this?

I think you will find this true in all breeds and in all domestic animals which may be bred for showing and winning prizes. Just think of all the dog breeds that now require intervention to survive and reproduce themselves.

I have read the book "Call of the Hen'' by a man named Hogan; google it and you'll find a free online copy. He teaches a method of measuring certain parts of the bird and using those measurements to predict how many eggs a hen laid in her pullet year, and likely how many eggs she will lay as a hen. Also how to use these measurements to select the best birds for breeding. I will be using his methods over the next year or two to work through the group of EE that I have and their offspring. While he was working with Leghorns, the charts also give measurements for dual purpose and meat birds. I'll also be keeping these guidelines in mind as I work through a group of black copper Marans.

My goals for my EE are to have pretty birds that lay lots of pretty eggs. My goal with BCM is to make sure I keep them as the great dual purpose birds they are, as well as decent layers of extra dark eggs.

I just think it's sad. I have BCM as well as EEs and would one day like to breed both, as well as some other breeds. I am curious to see of my one EE carries the blue egg gene, even though she lays brown? Is this possible? If so, what would be the best way to breed her?

I was talking to a old farmer some days ago, and he found it very intresting that so much of the ameraucana standard is based off of color, and that the actual shape, laying ability, health, ect were all secondary traits. I have noticed with a lot of ameraucanas, that they're not as healthy, and I wonder if it is because of this? I have all EEs, the one hen that could pass off as an ameraucana happens to lay brown eggs ( even though both parent carried the blue egg gene) and the other three were feed store ''araucanas'' All these have been healthy, but my experiance with pure, show quality ameraucanas has been horrible. I'm starting to think it is because so many breeders are only breeding for looks, that they forget what is important. Any thoughts on this?
Show quality in any breed is achieved by inbreeding to fix traits.Production bred [hatchery stock] is bred for production of eggs or meat or both.You can not expect to take a production bred leghorn,RI red or barred rock to a show and do well.I touched on diversity and favorite varieties a few pages back.White is easiest to keep up vigor and egg laying.White removes any color.So a white can have all the breed colors under the white.I do this with my white bantams very healthy and productive.Working on LF white.Black can also be very diverse if done carefully.Leakage of color on males can be a problem.Hatchery EE,ameraucana,araucana are basically production bred blue/green egg layers.Vigor and eggs = profit for a hatchery.The first thing I do When I buy into a color variety is shake up the gene pool with new blood.I like color families but ameraucana color famalies are incomplete.Silver should have light brown and golden as relatives.Wheaten should have salmon or silver wheaten as BB red.We do use buff and wheaten as a family.Blacks have blue and lavender as relatives.Mottled,Cuckoo,barred,and chocolate are project colors based on black.

I just think it's sad. I have BCM as well as EEs and would one day like to breed both, as well as some other breeds. I am curious to see of my one EE carries the blue egg gene, even though she lays brown? Is this possible? If so, what would be the best way to breed her?

From my understanding of the egg color genes.. if she lays brown eggs she has lost the blue egg laying gene. It is dominant - and will always show when present. If you break open one of her eggs - is the inside of the egg completely white? If you want green eggs you can breed her to a rooster that has the blue egg laying gene, and Ameraucanas would be an excellent choice!

Last edited:
I am going to pick up a dozen Ameraucana eggs on Sunday for blue black and splash! Kind of excited to get my project started. Even though I know it will be awhile yet it's fun taking that first step in the right direction with a specific goal in mind.

Question: We have another local breeder in the area that raises b/b/s as well and has different lines than the breeder that I am getting the eggs from right now. Would it be wise to purchase some from her next month? So when they all reach sexual maturity I can set up breeding pens. Or would it be smart to line breed for awhile before adding new blood?

The splash chicks and the blacks are from different breeding pens and I was going to hopefully do a black x splash cross to get my blues which is the main color I am after. Sorry for all the fragmented thoughts, typing fast before I head outside to do chores!

I am going to pick up a dozen Ameraucana eggs on Sunday for blue black and splash! Kind of excited to get my project started. Even though I know it will be awhile yet it's fun taking that first step in the right direction with a specific goal in mind.

Question: We have another local breeder in the area that raises b/b/s as well and has different lines than the breeder that I am getting the eggs from right now. Would it be wise to purchase some from her next month? So when they all reach sexual maturity I can set up breeding pens. Or would it be smart to line breed for awhile before adding new blood?

The splash chicks and the blacks are from different breeding pens and I was going to hopefully do a black x splash cross to get my blues which is the main color I am after. Sorry for all the fragmented thoughts, typing fast before I head outside to do chores!
Another line is a good idea.Sometimes crossing lines will give you a little leakage in some of the males.Not sure why.All the lines out there are cousins or distant cousins.A lot of the lines trace back to Wayne Meridith.Once in the hands of a new owner the breeding decisions are yours and becomes your line.However most will tell were there lines came from.

Another line is a good idea.Sometimes crossing lines will give you a little leakage in some of the males.Not sure why.All the lines out there are cousins or distant cousins.A lot of the lines trace back to Wayne Meridith.Once in the hands of a new owner the breeding decisions are yours and becomes your line.However most will tell were there lines came from.
The breeder said for the past couple of years removing leakage from her males has been her main goal, and last year she finally succeeded in creating some nice males with now leakage. She has mostly focused on type and color. She told me because that was her main focus the color of her eggs aren't very consistent. Do you know if Paul Smith's birds trace back to Wayne Meredith, or are they two different lines?

The breeder said for the past couple of years removing leakage from her males has been her main goal, and last year she finally succeeded in creating some nice males with now leakage. She has mostly focused on type and color. She told me because that was her main focus the color of her eggs aren't very consistent. Do you know if Paul Smith's birds trace back to Wayne Meredith, or are they two different lines?
Yes I remember about 15 years ago Mike,John,Paul and maybe some others went to Wayne's to pick out breeders for Paul.The club National was in northern Illinois that year.Not sure what else went into his breeding if anything.

Back
Top Bottom