The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

when i had my Paul Smith birds all my black males where good but my blue and splash showed red or yellow leakage...
That what this breeder told me too. She said her blacks from Paul Smith are much better quality than her blues. Over the years her main focus has been getting a nice blue male with no leakage. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could get some birds that aren't Paul Smith lines to add some genetic variety to the line I am going to get?

Quote:
I was wondering if that was the brown egg layer - she really does appear on the outside exactly like an Ameraucana (and she may well be). However, I would doubt the breeder you got her from was doing what they should if they managed to totally loose the blue egg gene AND bring in brown eggs! Possibly breeding for eggs made them choose away from the blue egg gene - and they lost it on the mother and the father... Were you told she was a "cull" from the breeding program?

She is a pretty bird, and you could possibly show her - but if she laid a brown egg before the judge she she could be DQd - by a judge who misinterprets the SOP for AMs. I would breed her to a known solid blue egg gene rooster (Black or Splash AM, probably NOT from that breeder)- and use her kids. They would have the blue egg gene again. It would also be a good way to test her genetics - at least 50% of her children must conform to the AM standards to call her an AM (that's the last qualification that no EEs can meet).

Also, I have been reading that blue is a hard color to show. The birds aren't correct for the color yet, some lacing is not distinct, the heads are supposed to be darker, etc... - and some judges like dark blue (but not too dark) and some judges like lighter.

Last edited:
He said he bred for egg color. I saw his nests, and they were full of blue eggs. No, she wasn't a cull. He let me pick whichever bird I wanted from his flock, and I thought she was pretty, so I picked her, she was around 24 weeks, so hadn't started laying yet.

Back
Top Bottom