The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Wow! Great pictures! That is a perfect example of my dream birthday. Lol! I have always wanted to be surprised with an animal for my birthday. That may sound silly but it was something I always dreamed about as a child, and it still hasn't happened, dangit! I don't know much about silvers but they look beautiful to me.

I have heard lots of wonderful things about the Octagon 20 ECO! I am sure you will have very successful hatches especially if you are hatching out your own eggs.
Thank you.. I love that he got me birds and the incubator for my bday. I have heard great reviews of the Octagon 20 ECO as well. I am hoping it works as great as everyone says it does. I will be using my own eggs to hatch. I got my first Silver egg today!!
celebrate.gif

I know this is off topic, but is there any way to sex polish, silkies, faverolles, or cochins when they are a couple days old. Will probably be getting some more chicks on Thursday
big_smile.png
I don't think you can sex polish, silkies or cochins when they are a couple of days old. I know faverolles can be sexed fairly young based on the color of their wing feathers. If the faverolle chicks are hatchery stock this may be difficult to do as the color of the pullets will range from light to dark. Males should have much darker wing feathers than females as a rule.

I am picking up my blue/black/splash Ameraucana hatching eggs tomorrow and was wondering what everyone does to prep their eggs for incubation? I really want to do my best to get a good hatch rate! Sometimes that can be difficult when using the LG.
hmm.png
I have had hatch rates rangeing from 86%-44% all with local eggs.

I don't think you can sex polish, silkies or cochins when they are a couple of days old. I know faverolles can be sexed fairly young based on the color of their wing feathers. If the faverolle chicks are hatchery stock this may be difficult to do as the color of the pullets will range from light to dark. Males should have much darker wing feathers than females as a rule.

I've heard that polish can be sexed by the size of their poof at a day old? have you heard of this?

I know this is off topic, but is there any way to sex polish, silkies, faverolles, or cochins when they are a couple days old. Will probably be getting some more chicks on Thursday
big_smile.png

When I bought my Polish chicks the guy at feed store said he thought the one I was getting was a pullet because it didn't have tail feathers. He is the more knowledgeable worker there and it did turn out to be a pullet.

Does anyone have a picture of a splash wheaten hen that they can post? There are no pictures on the breeders' website since it's not an accepted color. I hatched some wheaten/blue wheaten eggs a month ago, and am having trouble telling the sex of a few of the chicks. I was hoping if I saw a picture of an adult splash hen, I could better figure out what I have. I think I figured out the wheatens, either lots of black for the males or all cream for the pullets. But 4 of the chicks have varying shades and amounts of grey, some with cream breasts and some with brown flecks on their breasts, and I have no idea if I'm looking at splash or blue wheatens, let alone males or females.

Thanks for any help!

Does anyone have a picture of a splash wheaten hen that they can post? There are no pictures on the breeders' website since it's not an accepted color. I hatched some wheaten/blue wheaten eggs a month ago, and am having trouble telling the sex of a few of the chicks. I was hoping if I saw a picture of an adult splash hen, I could better figure out what I have. I think I figured out the wheatens, either lots of black for the males or all cream for the pullets. But 4 of the chicks have varying shades and amounts of grey, some with cream breasts and some with brown flecks on their breasts, and I have no idea if I'm looking at splash or blue wheatens, let alone males or females.

Thanks for any help!

Yeah! I have a picture of a splash wheaten pullet. This is from Barbara Campbell.

You will notice there is no black or blue in the wings or tail and that is what a splash wheaten pullet looks like when fully feathered.

splashwheaten.jpg

I have been browsing on the "sticky" Ameraucana thread lately and it seemed to me that there was a need to create a thread where members could discuss everything about Ameraucanas. Members should feel free to comment and ask questions about anything that has to do with Ameraucanas on this thread. Anyone can post pictures of APA-Standard birds, Purebred Non-Standard birds, Project Birds and even EE's! (Even though there are already wonderful EE threads out there). Feel free to discuss the standard of perfection for the breed as well. I hope that all subscribers of this thread will keep an open mind and not criticize other peoples differing opinions. Lets create a warm friendly and informative environment for both old-timers and new-comers alike.
Good morning I wonder if someone could explain to me the difference between Araucana and Ameraucana also what makes a EE Thanks for any answers

An araucana is a rare south american bird that is rumpless (no tail) And has ear tufts instead of beards and muffs. They lay a bright blue egg, and are the rarest of the known blue layers.
The ameraucana is a bird who was first bred as a alternative to the araucana. these birds are easier to breed (the araucana ear tufts is a lethal gene, and they have trouble mating because of no tails) They also lay blue eggs, but have tails, and muffs and beards instead of ear tufts.
Easter eggers are any mix that carries the blue eggs gene. They can be any color, lay any color, and breed any color. They are the best surprise in the chicken world =) Normal traits for the EE include green legs ( instead of blue like the ameraucanas) No particular color pattern, and beards and muffs.

Ameraucana hen

araucana hen

Easter egger

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom