The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

I have a question regarding Ameraucanas and breeding. I bought 12 pure breed White Ameraucana eggs from a breeder and she sent me an extra egg that was from her Black Ameraucana pen. Out of all the eggs, only two hatched, one white and the one black. If I were to breed them together, would I get Easter Eggers, or would I get either white and/or black Ameraucanas?

I have a question regarding Ameraucanas and breeding. I bought 12 pure breed White Ameraucana eggs from a breeder and she sent me an extra egg that was from her Black Ameraucana pen. Out of all the eggs, only two hatched, one white and the one black. If I were to breed them together, would I get Easter Eggers, or would I get either white and/or black Ameraucanas?
You wouldn't get white or black ameraucanas, it would be a mix of the two. Non standard of ameraucanas =)

My Ameraucana, or whatever they are, are not rumpless. I will post what pics I have now. I am beginning to think my two black hens may be bantams...ummmm??? They lay beautiful blue eggs. Our big roo is Billy Bob and we were told he was only "part", along with the red one. The little black ones were bought from a breeder who raises them for shows.

This red one is just part Amercauana or whatever....she has the purple legs

Nice looking birds! It does look like the rooster's a little hard on the hens (photo 4 you can see her damaged feathers from treading), but at least from the photos it looks like he's being polite. Those slate legs are incredible. Your roo does look like a mix, but the black hens looks pure. The hens don't look like bantams, they may just be smaller because true Ameraucanas are a naturally smaller breed and your other birds are mixes (which is why the mixes are bigger).

Hm, technically they would be non-standard Ameraucanas (what I would call an Easter Egger), since you're not really supposed to breed two colors together. However, you might get some birds that look like either one of the colors, as well as some that have a few off-color feathers. I'm thinking that if your white bird has dominant white genetics, you might get quite a few that appear to be white Ameraucanas. Not sure how a judge at a show would determine if that particular bird was not an Ameraucana, but you would know because through breeding the recessive colors (black, in this case) might come up again.

Last edited:
Call it a project.Most ameraucanas are recessive white.Bred to black all chicks will be black depending on what is hidden under the white.Males could have leakage.Breed one of these back to white and 50% of that generation will be white.Will breed true for white.A black/white bred back to the original black all black chicks.50% will carry recessive white.Leakage may or may not be a problem on the males.Females should look black.Recessive would pop up from time to time.

Nice looking birds! It does look like the rooster's a little hard on the hens (photo 4 you can see her damaged feathers from treading), but at least from the photos it looks like he's being polite. Those slate legs are incredible. Your roo does look like a mix, but the black hens looks pure. The hens don't look like bantams, they may just be smaller because true Ameraucanas are a naturally smaller breed and your other birds are mixes (which is why the mixes are bigger).
Ameraucana come in bantam and large fowl.Wiegh the black hens.If under 2 pounds then they are bantam.If 4-5 pounds large fowl.Ameraucana are usually larger than EE and araucana are a smaller breed that is rumpless and tutted.

I have black, wheaten, silver, and 2 lavendar cock birds. Never got any lavendar pullets. I lost my silver cock, and I am looking, (not real hard) for a silver cock. I will post some pictures later today of my black male. I love the ameraucana's, and I hope to show the blacks someday.

Ameraucana come in bantam and large fowl.Wiegh the black hens.If under 2 pounds then they are bantam.If 4-5 pounds large fowl.Ameraucana are usually larger than EE and araucana are a smaller breed that is rumpless and tutted.

Ah, I didn't know that Ameraucana are usually larger than EEs, my EE's have all been huge but I think most of it's bone rather than weight. Hatchery EEs are so gamey!

Ah, I didn't know that Ameraucana are usually larger than EEs, my EE's have all been huge but I think most of it's bone rather than weight. Hatchery EEs are so gamey!
That's why I said usually.There is a lot of variation in EE and some LF ameraucana colors are struggling to reach standard weights.

Back
Top Bottom