The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Call it a project.Most ameraucanas are recessive white.Bred to black all chicks will be black depending on what is hidden under the white.Males could have leakage.Breed one of these back to white and 50% of that generation will be white.Will breed true for white.A black/white bred back to the original black all black chicks.50% will carry recessive white.Leakage may or may not be a problem on the males.Females should look black.Recessive would pop up from time to time.
Thats really interesting. I didn't know that most Ameraucanas were recessive white. How come leakage is mainly seen in males and not in hens?

It's the opposite with my birds, my EEs have always been MUCH larger than my ameraucanas.
I just picked up my hatching eggs today from a local breeder and her Ameraucanas were as big as any of the large fowl chicken breeds I have. Her rooster was actually bigger than any of my chickens full stop. She has been focusing on type and color so I guess that includes size. I was expecting to see birds that were a bit smaller and was pleasantly surprised to see the opposite. I think it depends on what traits the breeder is focusing on. I don't think they focus on more than one or two at a time. She told me that what she has seen with her birds is that when she focus' on type, her egg color ends up all over the board. When she focus' on egg color, type and feather color begin to suffer. So I guess individual lines from different breeders will all be a little different.

Right now, all of my EE's would be smaller than here Ameraucanas I saw today.

The ear tuft gene in araucanas is lethal, if you breed two birds that both have tufts, over 75% of the chicks will die in the shell, and right after hatching, and the one that survive have a good chance of deformities. This is why you must breed a bird with ear tufts to a bird without. Araucanas also have a lower fertility rate than other breeds, because of them being rump less, the feathers get in the way, and they don't have as much support. because of this, you need to keep their hind feathers trimmed. Hope this helps! The Araucana in know to lay the bluest egg. But it is possible for the ameraucana to lay one just as blue (just not as common)
Thanks for the info I have ordered some ameraucana eggs they are wheaten and blue wheaten I was thinking about also trying the Araucana I was looking for a breeder and that is when I found this thread. Once again thanks

Back
Top Bottom