The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Since I'm getting eggs early next week( wheaten/blue wheaten ) I wanted to know If someone could answer my questions I have. When can Ameraucanas be sexed? When will I be able to tell the wheaten from the blue wheaten? What is the earliest one can be shown? What is the general time they begin to lay? If I think of more questions I will ask. Thanks in advance.

I can tell by 4 weeks, but most people can't tell until 6-8 weeks.

Quote: Thank you very much..I have one more that her lacing is coming in nice too. One of the other blues is a bit smudged and I am not sure it is going to clean up enough to show, but she sure has a nice body.
Quote: They are all different. Sometimes that comb turns pink right away.
For showing under 12 months is pullet and cockerel and over 12 months is rooster and hen. 9 months is probably the youngest unless it is exceptional.
They lay when they are sexually mature and that can be around 5-7 months depending on time of year.

(Post corrected)

Last edited:
I have 2 hens that I was told were Ameraucanas but then I saw the easter eggers and so I'm wondering if that's what I got instead. Is there a way to tell the difference? One lays a green egg and the other a light blue(not sure who is laying which).

I know this is my profile pic but it's a good closeup of her comb and coloring

Ameracuana's have pea combs and specific colors that you can find in the Standard of Perfection.
http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html
you can get more information here...
smile.png

Thank you very much..I have one more that her lacing is coming in nice too. One of the other blues is a bit smudged and I am not sure it is going to clean up enough to show, but she sure has a nice body.
They are all different. Sometimes that comb turns pink right away and the wattles show up by 4 weeks, sometimes 6-8 weeks.
For showing under 12 months is pullet and cockerel and over 12 months is rooster and hen. 9 months is probably the youngest unless it is exceptional.
They lay when they are sexually mature and that can be around 5-7 months depending on time of year.
Ameraucanas don't have wattles.
old.gif

Thank you for this wonderful information. It is a little sad for new comers. I went to a local feed store wanting Ameraucana chicks thinking that is what I would get. Now I'm sure they will be EE and that's OK but they should not sell them as something they are not. Mine are only 3 weeks old. One will be gray, the other two dark brown. How I wished I had researched chicks before buying them. I will love them just the same.

They are all different. Sometimes that comb turns pink right away and the wattles show up by 4 weeks, sometimes 6-8 weeks.
Well that means they aren't a whole ton quicker at maturing then my brahmas. I suppose that isn't a huge issue, I just wanted to be able to show them later this year.

Back
Top Bottom