The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Wow.. I must have messed up EEs then, Mine are the most dominate, and feisty of my roosters
There is a lot of variation.In the 1970s some hatchery lines were very wild and aggressive.More like the semi wild jungle birds they came from.Great progress has been made on temperament since then.

I have a question about leg color. I just got some "true ameraucanas" from a local breeder. They have wheaten and blue wheaten and when I picked up the chicks they said they were splash. I know splash isn't a recognized color and that is ok. What color should the chicks legs be? I keep hearing slate but their legs aren't slate, the adult stock has slate legs though. Does the leg color change over time? They are one week now.

Last edited:
I have a question about leg color. I just got some "true ameraucanas" from a local breeder. They have wheaten and blue wheaten and when I picked up the chicks they said they were splash. I know splash isn't a recognized color and that is ok. What color should the chicks legs be? I keep hearing slate but their legs aren't slate, the adult stock has slate legs though. Does the leg color change over time? They are one week now.

By two weeks they will be the right color

I can't remember what color my chicks legs are I can look when I go out to do the evening feeding. I have them in all stages.

On another note... I found my leghorn a new home were he will be the only roo. Thanks for all the advice on different subject.

I have a question about leg color. I just got some "true ameraucanas" from a local breeder. They have wheaten and blue wheaten and when I picked up the chicks they said they were splash. I know splash isn't a recognized color and that is ok. What color should the chicks legs be? I keep hearing slate but their legs aren't slate, the adult stock has slate legs though. Does the leg color change over time? They are one week now.It will take several weeks, not just tww
It will take several weeks for their legs to turn slate, not just two.

Oh, now I am confused!

Can someone tell me what they are? The breeder said they were splash.. Or I may have misunderstood. I think I remember it was a blue wheaten roo over a wheaten hen.

Back
Top Bottom