The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Quote:
Melodie, I think you probably meant to say "Splash Wheaten" or they should have told you that. Having said that, if they only have W and BW, then I don't know how they could guarantee you that you were getting SW. I haven't hatched out too many SW in the past but I've got one cockerel and one pullet out there right now and plan to hatch more in the future as I want to begin to show them to get them more exposure. If my memory serves me correctly, I don't think I could tell the difference between any of the varieties for several weeks. I "think" I've found a pattern that my whiter chicks are Wheatens and the more yellowish chicks are BW's but I have been able to prove it yet.

S&P, all WBS Ameraucanas are born with flesh/pink colored legs and it takes about six weeks for them to turn completely slate colored.

God Bless,

It seems like there is a lot of technical talk over this type or that type. All I know is that we adopted 5 6wk old girls yesterday, 3 of which the lady said were Amaracauna, and I am in love. Once we finally got home, one seriously snuggled me. I think she was afraid, and seriously buried her head under my shirt. They are such docile ladies (as well as the two BO that came with them). Needed to share that somewhere and this seemed like the most appropriate place.

Melodie, I think you probably meant to say "Splash Wheaten" or they should have told you that. Having said that, if they only have W and BW, then I don't know how they could guarantee you that you were getting SW. I haven't hatched out too many SW in the past but I've got one cockerel and one pullet out there right now and plan to hatch more in the future as I want to begin to show them to get them more exposure. If my memory serves me correctly, I don't think I could tell the difference between any of the varieties for several weeks. I "think" I've found a pattern that my whiter chicks are Wheatens and the more yellowish chicks are BW's but I have been able to prove it yet.

S&P, all WBS Ameraucanas are born with flesh/pink colored legs and it takes about six weeks for them to turn completely slate colored.

God Bless,

I assume that is what they meant and they just said "Splash" I really don't know how they determined what the color was, she spread out their wings and gave me what she thought were girls and said it looked like the majority of what they had were "Splash." These are my first Ameraucanas so I have very little knowledge base at this point. I was a bit dubious that they could pick out the girls.. I know there are some ways to make an educated guess, but it will surprise me if they turn out as expected. Two of them are feathering out much faster than the third, I am really wondering if that one is a boy. Which is fine, but I really want some girls to lay pretty eggs for me. :)

I don't think that this breeder has a long history with the breed, I know that this is actually their last batch because they decided to move to something different. They had just sold their breeding quad right before I picked up these chicks. They did seem to put a lot of effort into their birds and into getting quality stock. Their SLW were from Foley's and they were beautiful and their Marans were really nice looking also.

I will give them a few weeks and then post some new pictures for a better guess at exactly what I have. I am slowly weeding my way through the other Ameraucana post, it is just so much info to take in!

My splash chicks have decided that for themselves that they want out of the brooder. lol All day they smash themselves against the door, and almost every time I open it, a chicks almost falls out! I don't know what to do since I am trying to put the barred rocks, and BCMs inthe other coop at the same time... I will be building my THIRD coop soon though! I had gotten lots of extra chicks... and I don't want to get rid of them now! lol. Outrun Acres, how are your new chicks doing?

My splash chicks have decided that for themselves that they want out of the brooder. lol All day they smash themselves against the door, and almost every time I open it, a chicks almost falls out! I don't know what to do since I am trying to put the barred rocks, and BCMs inthe other coop at the same time... I will be building my THIRD coop soon though! I had gotten lots of extra chicks... and I don't want to get rid of them now! lol. Outrun Acres, how are your new chicks doing?
Good afternoon could someone please tell me if true Ameraucanas males have a comb at all thanks for any infomation

Quote: They have different types of combs. Ameraucana's have a pea comb. Here is a chart that might answer your questions about combs.

images

I am anxiously waiting for my order of an assortment of ameraucana chicks from Paul Smith sometime this month. I order 20 chicks (blue, wheaten, lavender, splash). I believe I have everything prepared for them (brooder and a brand new coop). I plan to keep them in the house for six weeks but I wanted to know from the experts about the time I need to quarantine them before I move them to the new coop. I have 9 one year old hens that will be sharing the run with them once they are integrated (there is a partition in the run to separate them until they get big enough to put them together. Will 6 weeks be enough time for the chicks to develop their immune system? although I would like to move them to the coop earlier (maybe about 4 weeks old) but I have read different opinions so I really don't know what is best at this point. 4 weeks, 6 weeks?
I am new to the ameraucana breed (although I do have an EE which I dearly love) so any input you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom