The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Do EE not need beards and tufts? We have three EEs, but they all have a similar body type to each other--and they don't match Mystery. They also have the tufts even though they are only 2 1/2 months old.

Do EE not need beards and tufts? We have three EEs, but they all have a similar body type to each other--and they don't match Mystery. They also have the tufts even though they are only 2 1/2 months old.

Some have them and some don't. An EE is any cross that carries the blue egg laying gene. Their actual appearance can vary greatly. I have EEs with rose combs, beards and tufts, but they aren't a recognized Ameraucana color. I've seen others with clean faces and a single comb like a leghorn. I've also seen some that are rumpless.

Last edited:
We've been told this handsome fellow is an Ameraucana, but he doesn't have tufts or a beard. Is that a problem for my son showing him for 4-H? Mystery is almost 8 months old.

Since your rooster is an Easter Egger and not an Ameraucana you can't show him in the poultry division, but I believe you can use him in 4H for showmanship. They don't judge the bird there, only how well he is handled, and how healthy he looks. Your boy looks fine for that.

Most EE's are genetically Ameraucana based. Most Ameraucana traits are dominant so they show up in EE's even if said EE is a cross between an Ameraucana and another breed of chicken. Another blue egg laying breed that has been used to create EE's is the Araucana. Araucanas have "tufts", while Ameraucanas have "muffs" and "beards."

EE's don't need anything to be considered an EE. EE is technically not a breed but considered a variety that was originally Ameraucana or Araucana based. If your chickens have tufts they are Araucana based. If they have muffs and a beard they are Ameraucana based. You will be able to see if your birds are going to have muffs and a beard as son as they fluff up after hatch. They will have fluffy perfectly round little owl faces and will start grow their true beards and muffs as they feather in. Confusing, yes? I had to do a bit of research on Araucanas, Ameraucanas, and EE's before I was able to get a bit of a grasp on which was which.

We've been told this handsome fellow is an Ameraucana, but he doesn't have tufts or a beard. Is that a problem for my son showing him for 4-H? Mystery is almost 8 months old.

Unfortunately, he is an Easter Egger or at the very least an Ameraucana that does not meet the standard, and your son will not be able to show him. Being a fairly young breed (as far as chicken breeds are concerned) it can be quite difficult to find show quality birds. If you are really interested in the breed and your son wants to show this specific breed of chicken I would check out the Ameraucana Breeders Club website (I will post the link below). They have a list of breeders on there website that may be able to sell you a nice APA Standard bird or point you in the right direction.

I hope you don't feel duped. A lot of people don't understand and/or know what a APA Standard Ameraucana looks like. I know I didn't. Good for you for posting on this site to find out the answers to your questions. I think a lot of people take there "Ameraucanas" to a show only to be disqualified by the judge and told their birds do not meet the standard and are actually Easter Eggers.

Ameraucanas only come in 8 standard colors: blue, black, red-brown, white, wheaten, blue-wheaten, buff, and silver. The ABC website has pictures of juvenille and adult birds of all the APA colors so you can get an idea of what to look for in the future.

http://www.ameraucana.org/

I feed only starter/grower to my entire flock. With free feed grit, a high protein kibble supplement, egg shells and oyster shells. I also throw in scrap greens from the previous nights dinner, and I have a patch of garden with kale, chard and spinach and throw in several leaves of each. I have read a few times the excess calcium can cause kidney damage in Roosters, but my silkies are affected by excess calcium as well, so we allow them to free feed for it. I like this method because it gives everyone the ability to regulate their own diets. I also ferment the starter/grower with some scratch and feed it twice a day. They seem to be big fans.
I do about the same..I have fermented my feed for years. I pretty much free range so the grit is *found*. I give back all egg shells, I also add grass plugs in the brooder so chicks get natural grit, bugs, and get a good start on antibodies from adults.(chicks get antibodies from eating poop from there mom in the wild). I have never tried chard. Do they like it? Does it freeze for winter use?
4-H is so much fun..what a wonderful thing you are doing with your family!
Quote: Great information!

I do not think you need show quality birds for 4H. 4H is for teaching kids about animal husbandry. responsibility, leadership, community, and a ton of other things. The kids are judged on the condition of the bird and how well they have trained them, fed them, and prepared them. (Showmanship)

I do not think you need show quality birds for 4H. 4H is for teaching kids about animal husbandry. responsibility, leadership, community, and a ton of other things. The kids are judged on the condition of the bird and how well they have trained them, fed them, and prepared them. (Showmanship)

You are very correct. My fair has like three parts to it. The actual show, skillathon, and showmanship. The show obviously judges how close your bird is to APA standard. This bird won't do well. In the skillathon it tests how much you know about chicken things. Such as how to read a medication label/directions, recognizing breeds/parts/equipment. All those kinds of things. Showmanship is how well you handle the bird. You would also get asked some random questions. It might be part related, breed related or just a general chicken question. Bringing that bird won't give your son the full affect of fair since the show part won't go well. It will however let him see if he likes and if he does I would then go through onlince and pick a breed that he likes. Then try to find a breeder and get those to show and bring from there forth.

Last edited:
Delisha, you can grow chard nearly year round. It handles pretty much the same as kale but the leaves aren't curled. We grow it up until snow and then some still make it! It freezes well, I Blanche it before I freeze it.

Back
Top Bottom