The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Okay, so I bought some White Ameruacana hens about a month ago. They are around a year old. So is it normal for this breed varitey to lay small eggs? These hens eggs are no bigger than bantam eggs and they are LF. Very pretty hens but a little disappointed on the egg production, they don't lay but about every 3 to 4 days.
Egg size can vary by bloodline.I have white bantams that lay large eggs for bantam.I have had large fowl that laid small eggs also.If you choose to breed new blood could improve production and egg size.

i am so intrigued by these splash Am. I have a hen and a roo that look so similar. We rescued them from the local feed & seed. They were little white chicks with Dalmatian spot I loved them, no one knew what they were. After a lot of researching, I had decided they were moat likely tetra tints. However now the female has a little tufts like my Ameracauna, and their legs have changed from a cheery orange to a ruddy grey black. I didn't know the splash Ameracauna was a thing. After calling the Jasper feed & seed, his chicks are dropped off from both hatcheries and from locals selling peeps. The roo doesn't have the Am. Beard but the hen definitely does..she grew up white with black Dalmatian spots, she looks like my paint silkie. The roo also has a rust colored patch down his chest. Perhaps they have a little Ameracauna in them. I don't think that's a parent bird for the tetra tint. Who knows. The other little red peep I got that day is also a mystery some 12 weeks later.
Your splash looks like a paint.Dominate white with black showing.Dominate white is not the norm in ameraucana but they do exist.I will try to add a pic.

Hello all! I am new here and to chickens in general. These are a couple of chicken my son picked up from Rural King. They were marked Ameraucana, but I am wondering if they really are Ameraucanas. I was hoping someone here can tell me if they are or what they might be. Thank you so much! And, sorry the pictures aren't very good. We have an old camera.

I just got an Ameraucana from an outdoor market today. I added her to my flock to round out an even ten. She is sort of gray lavender on the head and reddish on her wings. My question is not so much about her breeding since I'm not showing and I want the hobby/eggs. I had an Am that died while a chick and rehomed a roo that was supposed to be a hen.

My question is more about temperament. Right now my new girl (6 weeks old) is trying to break out it seems. She squawks a lot and my girls I've had since chicks seem intimidated by her. Is this just her getting settled in a new coop/new flock or are these birds typical "odd ducks?"

Hello all! I am new here and to chickens in general. These are a couple of chicken my son picked up from Rural King. They were marked Ameraucana, but I am wondering if they really are Ameraucanas. I was hoping someone here can tell me if they are or what they might be. Thank you so much! And, sorry the pictures aren't very good. We have an old camera.

She's an EE

I just got an Ameraucana from an outdoor market today. I added her to my flock to round out an even ten. She is sort of gray lavender on the head and reddish on her wings. My question is not so much about her breeding since I'm not showing and I want the hobby/eggs. I had an Am that died while a chick and rehomed a roo that was supposed to be a hen.

My question is more about temperament. Right now my new girl (6 weeks old) is trying to break out it seems. She squawks a lot and my girls I've had since chicks seem intimidated by her. Is this just her getting settled in a new coop/new flock or are these birds typical "odd ducks?"
For the healthy of your flock it is best to always keep any new poultry in isolation for 30 days. I add one sacrificial bird in with the new poultry to observe any type of changes or illness symptoms. It takes a solid 30 days to clear new poultry for any type of contagious disease.

All new birds are sensitive to change. My birds are disruptive if I change there room. They do not like change. Your new birds reaction is quite normal.

I would also say that your new girl may be a cockerel. Generally cockerels develop red on the wings, not pullets.

I would also day the bird is an easter egger, not an ameraucana.

I need help!! My blue ameraucana has a broken feather, it;s hanging off by a string, so, should I
A. pull the whole feather out
B. cut right below the break, or,
C. just leave it???
Thanks for the help!

Why is this a problem? Are you showing the bird? Also, where is the feather? Wing, tail, body???

Usually you can do a, b or c. The only time I wouldn't pull it is if its a blood feather (check the lower shank, if its red leave it in). If it is red and it is bleeding - pull it out.

Back
Top Bottom