The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Is it very common to get clean faced birds from a supposedly reputable breeder? Two of my birds (full brothers) are both clean faced. Other than that they are big beautiful boys. They are almost twice the size as the other roosters I hatched out. She only has Ameraucanas, and has her birds separated in breeding pens. (I saw the facilities and her birds first hand). I think I am going to outcross these birds to some of my EE's that are close in color and type to the Ameraucana standard. I know some people may frown upon that. It just seems that these birds are all a little too closely related. They were difficult to hatch and haven't thrived like other breeds I have hatched.

From what I've understood, it has to do with whether the birds had one or two copies of the muff/ beard gene. One copy mated to another one copy, and you will birds with varied muffs, and some with none, but they still carry the muff gene. I believe if you mate them to a hen with really large muffs, all the chicks will have them. Sometimes it is hard to tell how many copies they carry, therefore, it's not too uncommon to get clean faced birds. Hope you chicks get better!!

If a bird is clean faced, it does not have a copy of the beard and muff gene. A good breeder will eventually weed out any birds that are producing clean faced offspring.

Everything I've read on the subject ( which is a lot ) say that they still carry the gene, but are not showing it. Either way, the offspring will have beards and muffs.
What you have read is wrong or you misunderstood what you read.It is a dominate and it is expressed if present.Therfore a clean faced bird does not carry the gene.All of us have been confused on some of this genetic stuff at times.
wink.png

What you have read is wrong or you misunderstood what you read.It is a dominate and it is expressed if present.Therfore a clean faced bird does not carry the gene.All of us have been confused on some of this genetic stuff at times.
wink.png

Yeah, but since it's always been one of my favorite things, I'm usually pretty good on getting it right, I'm guessing what they meant is that the offspring would have muffs, because the other parent had them.

Ok genetics 101

We will us B for beard and muffs and C for clean faced.
Each bird will carry two genes. If the gene is dominant it doesn't matter if the bird has one or two it will show the trait. Cleaned faced would mean that doesn't carry the gene thus can not pass it along.

If you breed two bearded birds that are heterxygous, one of each gene, then you will produce 25% homozygous bearded, 50% heterozygous bearded and 25% clean faced.
B c
I used the c small because is recessive.
BB, Bc & cB would all be bearded while cc is clean faced.
If one bird is homozygous for a dominant gene all offspring will have the trait.
B c.
All bearded, 50% homozygous and 50% heterozygous.

Ok sorry. My genetics boxes don't post the same as I have them drawn out on my iPhone. You should have a box with one parents genes on top and the other along the side then you just make a box graph. Can't do on my phone and it show right on the post.
Bc x Bc = 25% BB, 50% Bc, 24% cc
75% showing the dominant trait
BB x Bc = 50% BB 50% Bc. All showing the dominant trait.

Back
Top Bottom