The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Thanks, at least I know it's just her. Even as eggs Ameraucanas are expensive little birds and I was afraid of trying to hatch more. She gets along great with the flock but is not fond of people at all. Maybe next try I'll get more hens than roos and actually get to keep some.
big_smile.png
It could be she was too young. Just because she went broody doesn't mean she knew what to do. Hopefully she will get better next year.

I just subscribed also!
Showed Afghans for 30 years, now have mini poodles, both finished and since I am much much older and the rings are growing larger and larger with each show I am now going to try my hand at pure bred chickens, I love the looks of the Lavender Ameraucanas and since they are not recognized by the national chicken whatever, thought I might try with them. I love genetics and studying what your options are.
Trust me, the chicken folks can't be any worse than the Afghan or Poodle folks as opinions go!!
I am used to the AKC standard, that has a very specific written document stating everything about the breed including color, coat texture. size for both male and female, tail set. eye size & color, lay back of shoulder and on and on. Is there anything like this for the Lavs? If so where can I find a copy?
I am hoping to get my first set of chicks from a recommended breeder and go from there. One question I do have is: do you purchase a cock from a different breeder so you don't cross breed the hens and cocks?

I just subscribed also!
Showed Afghans for 30 years, now have mini poodles, both finished and since I am much much older and the rings are growing larger and larger with each show I am now going to try my hand at pure bred chickens, I love the looks of the Lavender Ameraucanas and since they are not recognized by the national chicken whatever, thought I might try with them. I love genetics and studying what your options are.
Trust me, the chicken folks can't be any worse than the Afghan or Poodle folks as opinions go!!
I am used to the AKC standard, that has a very specific written document stating everything about the breed including color, coat texture. size for both male and female, tail set. eye size & color, lay back of shoulder and on and on. Is there anything like this for the Lavs? If so where can I find a copy?
I am hoping to get my first set of chicks from a recommended breeder and go from there. One question I do have is: do you purchase a cock from a different breeder so you don't cross breed the hens and cocks?
http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/

With showing dogs you will probably be interested in both of those web sites. There is a ton of great information and books you can order. I suggest you purchase the *Standard of Perfection*. The book and illustrations are what Judges...look for in each breed just like the AKC.

I have 1 Black Ameraucana, she is 10 months old and went broody for the first time, so I put some eggs under her and when they hatched she ended up stomping them to death. Are Ameraucanas really that flighty or is it just inexperience? My EE's are way more docile and friendly, I suppose I just assumed Ameraucanas would have the same personality but so far they couldn't be more opposite... She is beautiful, but absolutely nuts, are they generally good mothers?
Both my EE's and my Ameraucanas are flighty compared to some of my dual purpose breeds. I haven't used either of those to hatch out chicks before. I did have a hen get in a broody's nest to lay and a chick hatched and she pecked it to death :(.

Hello everybody!
I have 20 ameraucana chicks that are 5 1/2 weeks old, they come from Paul and Angela Smith stock. I would like to keep one or two cockerels but I will need to give the rest away because I don't have enough pullets to keep a balanced flock. Right now I don't know how many cockerels there are, some of them are already acting like "little roosters" but others I just cannot tell their sex.
I would like to find nice homes for them since I am not interested in making "dinner" with them.
Unfortunately I don't know anything about shipping live animals so they will have to be picked up or we can meet half way. I am in Brenham (south central Texas).
Please PM me if you are interested.
Welcome to the thread! I too have Paul Smith lines that I hatched out from a local breeder in Arkansas. They are such pretty birds. They are still adolescents 10-12 weeks old. I have BBS birds. What color are your Ameraucanas? Figuring out what to do with excess cockerels can be difficult. This breed also seems to be more difficult to sex at an early age.

Outrun Acres, thank you for the welcoming, I am new to chickens so it is always nice to be included in this forum, there is just so much to learn about keeping chickens if you want to do it right!.
I know what you mean, I sit in the run and watch them always wondering, is this a roo or a pullet? they are all so pretty that I am going to hate to have to part with some roos. I have splash, lavender, wheaten, blue wheaten and blue. They are all started to show their colors and they are so beautiful.

If possible, keep them in the same enclosure, but seperated by chicken wire for a couple of weeks. This allows them to get to know each other without fighting. Once you let them intermingle again, if there is fighting it should be less intense.

If possible, keep them in the same enclosure, but separated by chicken wire for a couple of weeks. This allows them to get to know each other without fighting. Once you let them intermingle again, if there is fighting it should be less intense.

Tried that, they have been in the same pen for over a month an were fine, moved them to their permanent pen, and she decides they are her enemy! Would waiting for the rooster to get bigger help? Right now he's 4 lbs, I could wait till he's 6+ lbs

Back
Top Bottom