The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

At what age can you tell ameraucana cockerels from pullets?

the day they start to crow
wink.png

I got 3 young pullets(?) a few weeks ago. 2 Ameraucana's and 1 Delaware. I know the Delaware is a pullet but I am not 100% on the 2 Ameraucana's yet. I got a Blue and a Black. I am pretty sure(99%) the Black is a Pullet but not sure about the Blue. They r about 13 weeks in the pics. Sorry cant delete the Delaware pic. so that's y I said about her, don't want anyone to think I think she is a Ameraucana. Anyone have any guesses for me. They r true Ameraucana's breed to standers. Thanks

What color of eggs would be layed by hens that I get from breeding my b/bk/s ams with my b/bk/s jersey giants?? Would make huge easter eggers in b/bk/s hens but what about the eggs?? Green?? Would I be able to tell the eggs readily from my pure breed brown egg laying jersey giants if I let them free range together?? I plan on keeping the pure Ams separated.

What color of eggs would be layed by hens that I get from breeding my b/bk/s ams with my b/bk/s jersey giants?? Would make huge easter eggers in b/bk/s hens but what about the eggs?? Green?? Would I be able to tell the eggs readily from my pure breed brown egg laying jersey giants if I let them free range together?? I plan on keeping the pure Ams separated.

By my best guess the eggs would be green and the faces would have beards and muffs. I think you may be able to tell the difference.... Just as long as all your AMs have two copies of blue egg gene and two copies of the beards/muffs.

I got 3 young pullets(?) a few weeks ago. 2 Ameraucana's and 1 Delaware. I know the Delaware is a pullet but I am not 100% on the 2 Ameraucana's yet. I got a Blue and a Black. I am pretty sure(99%) the Black is a Pullet but not sure about the Blue. They r about 13 weeks in the pics. Sorry cant delete the Delaware pic. so that's y I said about her, don't want anyone to think I think she is a Ameraucana. Anyone have any guesses for me. They r true Ameraucana's breed to standers. Thanks

I would guess both girls. My boys had a big red comb before then and were growing roo tailfeathers.

By my best guess the eggs would be green and the faces would have beards and muffs. I think you may be able to tell the difference.... Just as long as all your AMs have two copies of blue egg gene and two copies of the beards/muffs.

Thanks! That's what I am hoping. I want to breed some large Easter eggers just for more egg production, I can't keep any eggs for sale more than 1-2 days. But want to let the EE hens free range with my flock of jersey giants. Only having JG Roos free ranging will let me still collect and either sell eggs or hatch out pure JGs. since the eggs could be told appart. My small flock of pure Ams will not be allowed to free range unless supervised by me and the others are still penned up. I will put my favorite blue or Splash JG roo on the AM hens and see what I get. The AM Roos will just have to go in a pen for awhile. How long would I wait after switching Roos before setting eggs to hatch and be sure of sire, ie hatching AMs vs EE?? They should all still turn out blue/black/splash, but be huge! Thinking they might turn out very cool birds.

Quote:
I have heard 3 weeks - but I had one rooster who was a month and a half gone.. and I still got some of his "get" when hatching the eggs (heavily feathered legs on a sumatra black bird when I didn't have any other feather legged birds except him). So.. if you want to make sure they are clean - segregate them from ALL roosters until the eggs are infertile - then you will know.

They do sound like an interesting bird.

I have heard 3 weeks - but I had one rooster who was a month and a half gone.. and I still got some of his "get" when hatching the eggs (heavily feathered legs on a sumatra black bird when I didn't have any other feather legged birds except him).  So.. if you want to make sure they are clean - segregate them from ALL roosters until the eggs are infertile - then you will know.

They do sound like an interesting bird.

Thanks, sounds like good advice. I will take out the AM Roos for 3-4 weeks, check fertility on eggs, then when clear put in the JG roo. I won't have time to do this until late fall but will post pics when I do. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom