The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Here is a example of what happens to buff when you have to cross out to another color.About 7 years ago I bought 5 buff bantam chicks.Raised 3 to adult.All cockerels.So I crossed to bantam whites based on black.I had no wheaten bantam.Which is the go to cross most used.Note group pic.Hens are 1/2 white.At that point that rooster is 1/2 wheaten.I bought him.By that time I no longer had a pure buff rooster and could find none for sale.So I have been remixing these since.There is a pullet that looks buff but has black in wings when spread.The same for the cockerel.The last cockerel is older but has black in the tail and is too red.I switched roosters to get the younger birds.I have made arrangements for a pure buff cockerel.I have picked up better egg color and vigor with the cross.Still it has been a long road back to good buff color.So crossing colors is often a long road back.Not to be entered into lightly.

Here is a example of what happens to buff when you have to cross out to another color.About 7 years ago I bought 5 buff bantam chicks.Raised 3 to adult.All cockerels.So I crossed to bantam whites based on black.I had no wheaten bantam.Which is the go to cross most used.Note group pic.Hens are 1/2 white.At that point that rooster is 1/2 wheaten.I bought him.By that time I no longer had a pure buff rooster and could find none for sale.So I have been remixing these since.There is a pullet that looks buff but has black in wings when spread.The same for the cockerel.The last cockerel is older but has black in the tail and is too red.I switched roosters to get the younger birds.I have made arrangements for a pure buff cockerel.I have picked up better egg color and vigor with the cross.Still it has been a long road back to good buff color.So crossing colors is often a long road back.Not to be entered into lightly.

So the first picture with the black/gold hens was a result of the buff over black based whites? Did you use any of those black/gold girls or did you remove them from the breeding program?

I know Buff is a complex color to get correct in the first place, it requires specific melanizers over a specific base to get it correct. You said Wheaten is the go-to color to outcross if necessary, can they be bred back from Wheaten more easily, or is it still a long road back?

So the first picture with the black/gold hens was a result of the buff over black based whites? Did you use any of those black/gold girls or did you remove them from the breeding program?

I know Buff is a complex color to get correct in the first place, it requires specific melanizers over a specific base to get it correct. You said Wheaten is the go-to color to outcross if necessary, can they be bred back from Wheaten more easily, or is it still a long road back?
I continued on with those hens and the buff/wheaten rooster.Then kept breeding them together.Progress was slow due to not having a pure buff to breed back to.Easier with wheaten but then I had pure buff to go back to when I did it in large fowl.Still I had to get to 7/8 buff to restore buff color.I will add a pic of a 3/4 LF cockerel from last year.The tail on males is the hardest to turn buff.

Can anyone tell me when did the Ameraucanas become known as Easter Eggers ??

John Blehm , on his Ideal chick hatchery site says exactly that "Ameraucanas are known as the Easter Egger breed " (?) .

Shannon

Can anyone tell me when did the Ameraucanas become known as Easter Eggers ??

John Blehm , on his Ideal chick hatchery site says exactly that "Ameraucanas are known as the Easter Egger breed " (?) .

Shannon
Maybe this will clear it up for you. http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/2-3/john_w_blehm/
smile.png

maybe i'm wrong ...... but look at(go to) 1-"Ideal Hatchery" 2-click Ameraucana 3- click Ameraucana (again) ........ read this ........

Quote:
Ideal Hatchery and John Blehm are not the same. I do not think Ideal gets their stock from him, and I seriously doubt he works for them. John's site is Chick Hatchery. He does not call the true Ameraucanas "Easter Eggers". Ideal hatchery may have paraphrased what John said in an article where he explained the difference. He said they were NOT the same - but that could have been miss-interpreted?

Last edited:
Ok I'm Bigtime Wrong ......... i Apologize to Everyone ............ someone had sent this ad to me telling me it was Chick hatchery and stupid ME did not check but just read what Ideal said and got myself in hot water ..

I Apologize (i was Wrong)
Shannon

Ideal Hatchery is not John Blehm.

Back
Top Bottom