The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Have to laugh. My AM girl went broody last week and was sitting on a pine cone. Since we have her eggs in the incubator because we lost our beautiful roo we decided to let her sit on an egg from on of our Dom girls. Over the last several days she has stolen 2 more eggs and rolled them across the coop into her nest, none of my girls like nest boxes up high. So today I had to label the eggs so I can tell which is which in case she decides to steal any more.

Both my black and blue AM's placed at the Internationals. 2300 entries. It was a great turn out. I was even fortunate to have the black pullet on Champion Row.

I have a sick pullet, very odd. She is laying down with her neck twisted 360 degrees in a corkscrew whee her head is upside down. I can straighten out her neck then she twist it right back I think she will be dead by this afternoon. Any ideas what is going on? Is in a large coop and run with 35 the same age and everyone else is fine. They are 4.5 mo old.

I have a sick pullet, very odd. She is laying down with her neck twisted 360 degrees in a corkscrew whee her head is upside down. I can straighten out her neck then she twist it right back I think she will be dead by this afternoon. Any ideas what is going on? Is in a large coop and run with 35 the same age and everyone else is fine. They are 4.5 mo old.
wry neck or a poultry disease

give her a 1/2 dropper full of poly sol baby vitamins(with out iron) threw the day today. One drop at a time. If no improvement in 24 hours it might be too late.

I haven't been on BYC for quite a few months. Spring and summer generally result in endless amounts of yard work, home improvements and for me dog and horse training while the weather permits. Winter seems to be a better time for me to focus on my chicken hobby. So now that the days are getting shorter and colder the yard work has almost come to an end and I will once again be able to spend lots of time with my chickens.

I will have to go out and take some pictures of my BBS birds. Unfortunately, I used to have 9 and am down to 4 due to predator losses :(. I am hoping to either purchase sexed chicks or hatch out some more eggs this winter.

I have a beautiful Black cockerel from Paul Smith lines. The only problem is that somehow he ended up clean face? In every other way he is a very nice bird. Would anyone on here use a clean faced rooster for breeding? I held onto him for potential future use - just in case :).

Momhunter,

Look up pics of rye neck or crook neck, then look on youtube at newcastles symptoms. This might help you narrow down what is going on with her. I think the treatment for rye neck is generally electrolytes or anti-inflammatories. Not sure if there is a treatment for newcastles. Good luck. Remember that your state vet is there for you to use, your taxes pay for them to be at your disposal for advice and even lab testing.

I have four Smith roos this year and I am having the hardest time choosing which is the best. I have one black who is so beefy and broad through the shoulders, but his beard is a bit sparse and his tail is a little too high. I have one black who has a wonderful beard and is somewhat largish, but again the tail set is just a little too high. I have two lav roos: one is HUGE and everyone who comes on the property goes gaga over him, but I feel like, again, his tail set is too high and he's just a little too soft-feathered, the second one has nice muff and beard, okay tail set, not too weedy, but just not the wower that his brother is. I really expected to get an amazing black from Paul and Angela, but instead I am left feeling like I should preserve the good attributes of all four roos and see which one or ones I want to keep after I see what they can produce with my nice black pullets from Smith, Blehm and various bloodlines.

It always seems like the girls are no stress, they all look gorgeous with great beards and muffs and beautiful tight feathers, no complaints about tail set.
But choosing a cockerel comes down to splitting hairs. I don't want to get rid of any of the boys, while at the same time, I want to get rid of all of them and find the perfect cockerel.

Jerryse, please let me know, put me on your list, whatever you can. I want to get in on some of those barred ams in the spring. I have the blacks to support the color I can only imagine the uproar they will cause at my local show. We have a lot of ams shown there each year.

Has anyone seen a pic of those Black Azerbaijans? Beautiful. I have such a soft spot for a bearded bird. I'm getting into salmon favs and silkies now too.

Momhunter,

Look up pics of rye neck or crook neck, then look on youtube at newcastles symptoms. This might help you narrow down what is going on with her. I think the treatment for rye neck is generally electrolytes or anti-inflammatories. Not sure if there is a treatment for newcastles. Good luck. Remember that your state vet is there for you to use, your taxes pay for them to be at your disposal for advice and even lab
Very Good Info !!!

The State Vet Labs are a great help to people such as us !!! better take advantage of their expertise while you can cause it will be cut if repubs have anything to do with it ...... a lot of people are not aware of this valuable service and some of us do forget about it .

Shannon

Back
Top Bottom