The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Impossible for deviled eggs, the shells are too thick, and they are a little rubbery for egg salad. Scrambled I can't tell a difference from chicken eggs and they are excellent for baking. Very moist cakes. :)

I've heard they're good for baking. Now it's confirmed. Gotta add duck to my wanted list....
big_smile.png

As fair warning, ducks are SUPER messy. And loud. I don't know it that is an issue for you or not.

I had three drakes and one duck. She by far is the loudest, Unfortunately I lost two of the drakes to a dog attach. She seems to be quieter now.

Did you know you can get colored eggs from different breeds of ducks.

Last edited:
Is there a difference between Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers?
Ameraucanas are pure bred, and Easter Eggers are either a mix of Ameraucana and another breed, or a mix of Araucana and another breed. Typically, of you order from a hatchery, birds marketed as Ameraucana, Americana, or various misspellings are actually Easter Eggers.

I had three drakes and one duck. She by far is the loudest, Unfortunately I lost two of the drakes to a dog attach. She seems to be quieter now.

Did you know you can get colored eggs from different breeds of ducks.
I have a Pekin and a Swedish and they both lay super huge, cream-colored eggs. The first week or so of laying though the bloom on the Swedish's was so dark it made the eggs a dark gray.

On the noise maybe it depends on the breed? My Pekin way out-talks my Swedish...to the point where I thought maybe the Swedish was a boy until I started getting a second egg.

I have a Pekin and a Swedish and they both lay super huge, cream-colored eggs. The first week or so of laying though the bloom on the Swedish's was so dark it made the eggs a dark gray.

On the noise maybe it depends on the breed? My Pekin way out-talks my Swedish...to the point where I thought maybe the Swedish was a boy until I started getting a second egg.

Could be the breed. My loud girl is a Rouen the remaining drake is a Black Cayuga. The two drakes killed was a Pekin and a Blue Cayuga. My girl would wake me up in the am when I had the windows open. That is saying something because at the time I had 6 roosters. But she has quieted down since there is only one drake. She hasn't laid since the attach either it was over a month ago, but her eggs were a rich cream color.

Back
Top Bottom