The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Are there color clues to help sex Wheaten/Blue Wheaten chicks? Since the roosters are so different in color from the hens, I was wondering if there was anything to look for that might indicate gender. Thanks!

Betsy

Not at hatch. Males will get black or blue in the chest and females will get the buff or wheaten feathers. Males will also get a calico or splotchy look as they grow. They are fairly easy to sex once the breast feathers start coming. Maybe 2-4 weeks of age.

Not at hatch. Males will get black or blue in the chest and females will get the buff or wheaten feathers. Males will also get a calico or splotchy look as they grow. They are fairly easy to sex once the breast feathers start coming. Maybe 2-4 weeks of age.

I was going to actually ask the same question as I had 4 Wheaten/Blue Wheaten chicks hatch yesterda. I was told by the seller they're from Pips and Peeps lines. 3 were completely yellow and one was yellow with several small black (or blue?) dots on it's back. Does that signify anything?

Also, back to the Lavender Ameraucana's I was asking about earlier, some of them have black beaks and legs and some have yellow. Is THAT significant? lol, I'm such a newbie.

Thanks for your patience. :)

I was going to actually ask the same question as I had 4 Wheaten/Blue Wheaten chicks hatch yesterda. I was told by the seller they're from Pips and Peeps lines. 3 were completely yellow and one was yellow with several small black (or blue?) dots on it's back. Does that signify anything?

Also, back to the Lavender Ameraucana's I was asking about earlier, some of them have black beaks and legs and some have yellow. Is THAT significant? lol, I'm such a newbie.

I don't think black/blue dots are any indication of gender. If they are lavender chicks maybe not as these will likely change. You most likely have both kinds of black in there. The yellow toes sound like extended black. Lavender is a dilution of black. On a adult the ones with yellow should not be bred. To the layer pen or freezer camp for adults with yellow.

These are Wheaten/Blue Wheaten large fowl, just moved from the incubator. I remember being alarmed the first time I saw the yellow legs. You'll see the beginning of the change to light slate gray soon.

If I didn't breed them, then they are no longer my line.

Sometimes wheaten chicks will have a spot or two on their head or back.

If I didn't breed them, then they are no longer my line.

Sometimes wheaten chicks will have a spot or two on their head or back.

Makes perfect sense to me! The seller is advertising them as from your lines but didn't specify how many generations removed they are. Obviously it doesn't matter as they're not from you directly!! :) I'd love to get some of your direct lines though, they're beautiful.

Cute babies Duane. I haven't started my incubator yet. It's 12 here today.

My timing was not good this year. The weather has been terrible, with many days below zero F. I have three separate very small hatches, now ages 5 weeks (in a section of a large unheated coop with heat lamp). A group at 3 week olds in the basement under a Brinsea EcoGlow, and a few (from the photo) just hatched last week under a heat lamp. My wife gets impatient with chicks in the basement after a couple of weeks, because of the dust. I need to assimilate them all together in the coop, but they're still predicting artic weather. I'm done hatching for now and will ramp it up again in April.

This is a EE question, but I think y'all a group of experts that will have the answer I'm looking for,   I have been told that some people are lucky and get Pink and Lavender eggs. Do any of you have chickens that lay those colors that can post pictures?  I  have a hard time picking out the blue from the green too. I think I'm looking for to dark of color on the blue.  If anyone has good examples of egg color I sure would appreciate some clarification.

All of my EEs lay blue eggs. But I think they are actually all NonStandard Ameraucanas. (2 ameraucanas crossed together whose offspring does not meet the SOP for the breed). You can tell if your eggs are blue or green by cracking open the shell. True blue eggs are blue on the inside and outside of the shell. There are only 2 true colors of eggs, white and blue. If you crack open a brown egg you will see that the color inside of the egg is white. The brown pigment is added after the egg is formed and is actually a tint not a color. There's my .25 cent answer to a nickel question! Lol! I don't even know if I answered your original question!

Back
Top Bottom