The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

well, I would love to have some of those, maybe I can find some around here in middle TN?

I would check out the breeders on www.ameraucana.org first. I was lucky and one of the breeders listed only lived an hour away from me. I think a lot of breeders will ship eggs and/or chicks. But since we have had such a cold winter it might be better to wait until spring. It can be difficult to find the real deal outside of the breeders on the website. Be suspicious and ask a lot of questions! Lol.

I have been hatching my Smith/Blehm eggs this winter just to see what I am going to get and to see if I like the rooster/hen combos I have. I have been noticing that the chicks are hatching with white feet but as they get older their feet turn willow or black. Is this normal or are they supposed to have willow/black feet from the get go?

I have been hatching my Smith/Blehm eggs this winter just to see what I am going to get and to see if I like the rooster/hen combos I have. I have been noticing that the chicks are hatching with white feet but as they get older their feet turn willow or black. Is this normal or are they supposed to have willow/black feet from the get go?

Leg color changes as they grow. Depends on the color variety. Blacks often have yellow toes. Wheaten and buff are white or yellow looking. Silvers often look willow. All change to slate or black.

I would check out the breeders on www.ameraucana.org first. I was lucky and one of the breeders listed only lived an hour away from me. I think a lot of breeders will ship eggs and/or chicks. But since we have had such a cold winter it might be better to wait until spring. It can be difficult to find the real deal outside of the breeders on the website. Be suspicious and ask a lot of questions! Lol.

wow, looked at the breeders list, NOT ONE around me....Kentucky not even on the list and TN has nothing on it, no one in Missouri either. Was a good idea tho....
smile.png

Quote:
That is a bummer. I used a breeder in Northwest Arkansas. I don't think she ships eggs though. Some breeders will ship eggs to you. It's always a risk the eggs will get damaged though. My Aunt hatches a lot of shipped eggs and all her hatches are varied sometimes they are great and sometimes not a single chick hatches.

I ordered from Paul Smith and he shipped 15 to me her in NC from his place in TX. One of them arrived DOA and all the rest were healthy as could be. He even refunded me the price for the DOA. And let me tell you, they are GORGEOUS birds. Here is my favorite pair, I named them Paul and Angela.

I am getting eggs now from my ameraucanas after a long cold and still very cold winter. My partridge cochins which they say will have good winter production hasn't laid an egg since autumn.

I ordered from Paul Smith and he shipped 15 to me her in NC from his place in TX. One of them arrived DOA and all the rest were healthy as could be. He even refunded me the price for the DOA. And let me tell you, they are GORGEOUS birds. Here is my favorite pair, I named them Paul and Angela.
I love your birds. Did you have live chicks shipped? Did you have to order them pretty far in advance? He's not too far from me but I already have birds of Smith decent. I need to add new blood this year. Hatchibility was poor last year :-/.

Those birds are beautiful!!
ep.gif
I hope I can have some of those when I grow up..... although if I'm going to add to my flock I'm thinking now is the time to do it (my girls r only 15 wks). Are those lavender or silver? (neither?)

Back
Top Bottom