The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

I have a question speaking of Dom White..... I got a White chicks out of my Lavender pen. Funny thing is I think they are Dom White but no one is WHITE. I only hatch a few chicks that are white with her. She is a split for lavender as the few feathers that are leaking are black. I have breed her sire to other birds and the white will pop up every once in a blue moon from him too.

So I guess my question is if the bird is Lav (2 copies of Lav) could he also be dom white and not express it?

I have a question speaking of Dom White..... I got a White chicks out of my Lavender pen. Funny thing is I think they are Dom White but no one is WHITE. I only hatch a few chicks that are white with her. She is a split for lavender as the few feathers that are leaking are black. I have breed her sire to other birds and the white will pop up every once in a blue moon from him too.

So I guess my question is if the bird is Lav (2 copies of Lav) could he also be dom white and not express it?

A dominant is always expressed. What you have is recessive white. That is why I chose to develop dominant white. No test mating required to eliminate it. Your rooster is a carrier and some of your hens. Ameraucana have always been recessive in the white variety.

Quote:
OK.... I can believe that. I want to add that I used the Lavender roo over some Black Copper marans (I have been breeding them for 3 years now) and got some WHITE CHICKS. I don't think my Marans carry recessive white because surely I would have seen at least one at some point..... RIGHT? Do you seem my confusion??????

I just don't get why white is so horrible. I had a white bantam roo and he was a cutie. Of course, I didn't breed him to my standard lavs or bbs but I did sell him to a couple who wanted to start a backyard flock of easter eggers.

Quote:
Recessive white is very NOT leaky. Dominant white is the one that is often leaky. Recessive white can leak, but it is a feather here or there, and for some reason in my experience, it has always been on males, and as the bird matures into old age, it is more common than when the bird was younger.

Last edited:
I just don't get why white is so horrible. I had a white bantam roo and he was a cutie. Of course, I didn't breed him to my standard lavs or bbs but I did sell him to a couple who wanted to start a backyard flock of easter eggers.

X2 . White is my favorite variety. I always used white in my projects . They were the best I had in bantams in the early days of the breed. White is the easiest to keep vigor and egg laying at a high level. White can cover ( remove ) any color .A diverse gene pool and still showable . Utility is a important part of raising chickens Silver is my favorite color but white is my favorite variety due to being able to maintain utility easily.

Back
Top Bottom