The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

You can hatch Trader Joes eggs? Now I want to try, I have a hen that wants to be broody right now...
Yes it does work :) check the 3 digit number next the plant # on the carton. It represent the day of the year using the perpetual calendar on when the eggs were packaged. The bigger the number the fresher the eggs. E.g.,(001 = January 1st, 240 = August 28) Let them reach room temp before incubating. Below is a picture of my "Trader Joe" chicks I hatched 2 months ago. I got 6 to hatch, 5 males and 1 female. They are California Whites.

Last edited:
You can hatch Trader Joes eggs? Now I want to try, I have a hen that wants to be broody right now...
Yes it does work :) check the 3 digit number next the plant # on the carton. It represent the day of the year using the perpetual calendar on when the eggs were packaged. The bigger the number the fresher the eggs. E.g.,(001 = January 1st, 240 = August 28) Let them reach room temp before incubating. Below is a picture of my "Trader Joe" chicks I hatched 2 months ago. I got 6 to hatch, 5 males and 1 female. They are California Whites.
Lol... Well they do say 50% on shipped eggs is good. So I guess 50% on shipped stacked crated carted shelved and shuffled is darn good!!

Last edited:
What for y'all feed your birds that free range? What do you feed the ones who do not.

I was feeding 22% layer was told to much calcium for roos and non layers. Started feeding Game Bird Starter/Grower. Its 24% protein. Was told that was to much protein. I'd like yo find something in pellet form that doesn't cost a arm and leg.

Flock raiser is a good choice

Last edited:
What for y'all feed your birds that free range? What do you feed the ones who do not.

I was feeding 22% layer was told to much calcium for roos and non layers. Started feeding Game Bird Starter/Grower. Its 24% protein. Was told that was to much protein. I'd like yo find something in pellet form that doesn't cost a arm and leg.

I feed just the 16% layer pellets they sell at the co-op or MFA here. Prior to laying, for the younger birds, here I found some pellets that are 18% by nutrena, without the calcium...just ask at your local farm store what they recommend.

Project update . Pullet eggs .
celebrate.gif
Plus one of the laying pullets about 20 weeks olds .

I feed just the 16% layer pellets they sell at the co-op or MFA here. Prior to laying, for the younger birds, here I found some pellets that are 18% by nutrena, without the calcium...just ask at your local farm store what they recommend.
Do you have roosters? I was feeding the layer pellets 16% in summer and 22% in winter, but was told the calcium was bad for the roos. Then I switched to game bird and then told the high protein was bad too.... I'm running out of options.

Back
Top Bottom