The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Do you have roosters? I was feeding the layer pellets 16% in summer and 22% in winter, but was told the calcium was bad for the roos. Then I switched to game bird and then told the high protein was bad too.... I'm running out of options.

yes, I've always had several roo's in with the laying hens and never had a problem, just feed the layer pellets. Or, another option, if you're really worried about the roo's, is to feed pellets without the calcium added and offer oyster shell in a separate container for them, the hens will eat what they need, the roo's won't. Winter is a good time to grow and feed fodder, there is a thread here about doing that too.

some lines of black Ameraucana are based of E/R and carry birchen and/or red... so when u breed to blacks and or blue to black you can come up with a bird with white/silver or red in there hackel and saddle or wing bow feathers... this is a cull and is considered an EE...

now i don't really agree with that but that is they way the club wants it... if u don't agree the best way to change it is to join the club and vote!!!

some lines of black Ameraucana are based of E/R and carry birchen and/or red... so when u breed to blacks and or blue to black you can come up with a bird with white/silver or red in there hackel and saddle or wing bow feathers... this is a cull and is considered an EE...

now i don't really agree with that but that is they way the club wants it... if u don't agree the best way to change it is to join the club and vote!!!
The above quote seems to come close to answering my question but I need help with something regarding my chicks.

I purchased hatching eggs from a seller saying she had Ameraucana/Auracana hatching eggs. She described her flock as '"all bearded and muffed except one, and All roosters were Lavender as well as some of the hens so you will get some full blood lavender" Her flock pictures showed a wheaton or two, blues and blacks and of course lavender.

I am having trouble sorting out now exactly what kind of chicks I have hatched. I have 16 chicks. five appear blue, one is rumpless, Three are lavender, no muffs (can't tell about tufts yet) and rumpless, and 8 black, two who are rumpless and no muffs, cant tell about tufts. And two or three of the muffed blacks have brown or red feathers bleeding through under their chins.

All came from sky blue eggs.

The questions is:

WHAT do I have? I want to keep 4 hens and sell the rest but how do I advertise these chicks???? I'm thinking easter eggers, but I don't know how to exactly advertise them. I would assume that ameraucana/auracana is a mixed breed?

I would assume that since they all came from blue eggs, and the roosters were all lavender ameraucana that all these chicks will lay blue eggs. The Lavenders all hatched from the brightest blue eggs, by the way and their feathers appear to be very nicely shaped and whole, not shredded. I guess that's a good thing.

I need help writing an ad. It is very important to me not to mislead anyone. Please don't anyone be offended.

Project update . Pullet eggs .
celebrate.gif
Plus one of the laying pullets about 20 weeks olds .

Jerry been starting to get a few olive eggs from my Crele Penedesenca / Silver Ameraucana 1st crosses. most my birds are starting to molt but I will be saving what I do get to hatch

Quote:
If her "flock pictures" are of the birds all together , and that is how she breeds ...you more than likely have mixed breed blue egg layers...AKA, EE's.

If they all came from blue eggs, they will all lay either blue or green eggs.
If the Rooster that fertilized the blue eggs came from a blue egg..More than Likely they will lay blue eggs.

It is Possible that the Lavendars are pure, Lavendar Ameraucana. And if the Only Lavs she has are Ameraucanas, then it is most Probable that they are. They have to carry 2 copies of Lavender to be lavender. There is the chance that The Lavender Roosters mated another Bird that was split for Lavendar.....

It really is important to know the lineage of your birds to say: "they are this or that".

Quote:
I gotcha! I am going to sell them as Easter Eggers then. The Auracanas and Ameraucanas were running together and so the Lavenders can not be called pure either because I don't know if any of the hens who laid the eggs were splits (half Lavender and half 'other color') Do I have that right? These babies are beautiful and so happy and friendly! They will be easy to sell! Thank you SO much for your reply. I very much appreciate it! I have one full blood Blue Ameraucana about a year old and I just love her to pieces!

Back
Top Bottom