The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

The one to the right (anatomical right, I guess left on the screen) looks closest to our standard. The legs and beaks I'm assuming eventually turn black or slate? The one in the forefront looks a little light and does it have a crest? They all seem to be slightly light in the beard/muff but I would love to see some of your adults. Don't just tag, give us pics yo!

The one to the right (anatomical right, I guess left on the screen) looks closest to our standard. The legs and beaks I'm assuming eventually turn black or slate? The one in the forefront looks a little light and does it have a crest? They all seem to be slightly light in the beard/muff but I would love to see some of your adults. Don't just tag, give us pics yo!

They are being raised by my leghorn x that unexpectedly went broody. I am after a lavender with a beard & muff, so when they feather out I'll be able to choose who looks best. And yes, the yellow chicks seem to have the most pronounced poufs. Lol.

I have three Ameraucanas. They are 3 and a half years old, and I'm still (late Oct) getting eggs from them--one to two every other day or so. Two of them are flighty, but one is very snuggly. The rest of my hens (2 Barred Rocks, and one Buff Orpington) have closed the egg factory for the winter :D ) I have noticed in previous years the Amerucanas laid the most eggs. I also have a Golden Laced Wyandotte rooster, and I'm hoping to get some babies in the spring :) raised naturally by whichever one decides to go broody--provided she can hatch the eggs before the snakes eat them!!

I have a cockerel who now has slate\blue legs but when he was younger his legs were definitely greenish while his three siblings legs were slate/blue at that time. I am wondering if he might not carry the blue egg gene as I read the roosters with green legs only sometimes do. I want to breed for APA standard and for blue eggs, so wondering if he should culled.

I have a cockerel who now has slate\blue legs but when he was younger his legs were definitely greenish while his three siblings legs were slate/blue at that time. I am wondering if he might not carry the blue egg gene as I read the roosters with green legs only sometimes do. I want to breed for APA standard and for blue eggs, so wondering if he should culled.

Chick leg color can change a lot . Some color varieties look yellow at hatch and turn slate as they grow . So no worry . Leg color is not linked to leg color .

The leg color is not an indication of what the egg color will be, it just means that he is not pure bred.... The pea comb is the trait that is closely associated with the blue egg gene. If he has a pea comb, chances are very good that he will have the blue egg gene.

No need to cull until grown . Then take a good look at the bottom of the feet . Blacks often have yellow toes . Buff and wheaten look yellow or greenish at hatch . Depends on the bloodline sometimes .

The leg color is not an indication of what the egg color will be, it just means that he is not pure bred.... The pea comb is the trait that is closely associated with the blue egg gene. If he has a pea comb, chances are very good that he will have the blue egg gene.
He has a pea comb so that is good.

No need to cull until grown . Then take a good look at the bottom of the feet . Blacks often have yellow toes . Buff and wheaten look yellow or greenish at hatch . Depends on the bloodline sometimes .
He looks wheaten but he was supposed to be blue wheaten, his brother is definitely blue wheaten, and the sister I'm not so sure. The pics on ameuracana website look the same to me for the hens. My daughter would like to show him in the spring at the 4H fair along with the hen so I am also concerned about breed standard with him and not just egg color genetics. I will get some pics on here for everyone's opinion.

Back
Top Bottom