The Ancona breeders thread

Pics
These are beautiful birds. I love the dark color. About a quarter of my hens have too much white in them, almost like an Exchequer Leghorn. The initial hens are from McMurray. I plan to take the two darkest hens and breed them to my rooster from Sand Hill.

It will be interesting to see what comes of the pairing. Hatch as many as you can.

We were excited to take Reserve Champion Mediterranean with a Rose Comb Ancona pullet at this year's Ohio National, the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the American Bantam Association.

Congratulations Toooooo. Is it common for birds to gain more white as they grow older? I have a couple who have gained a white feather or two that didn't originally have them….Also i have a cockerel from a local lady who received a boy assortment from Urch. He is pretty and built well but has more white than i wonder if i should use. I have also noticed that my eggs are slowly coloring a slight off color from the brilliant white they used to be….I am thinking its feed related….They are mostly free range with some layer (Scratch & Peck Organic) supplementation.

Congratulations Toooooo. Is it common for birds to gain more white as they grow older? I have a couple who have gained a white feather or two that didn't originally have them….Also i have a cockerel from a local lady who received a boy assortment from Urch. He is pretty and built well but has more white than i wonder if i should use. I have also noticed that my eggs are slowly coloring a slight off color from the brilliant white they used to be….I am thinking its feed related….They are mostly free range with some layer (Scratch & Peck Organic) supplementation.

Yes, they'll add more white with age; it's part of the mottled gene. Be wary of too much white in young birds; it duplicates quickly. Remember, too, there's no need to use a bird in breeding just because it happens to be there. If you don't specifically need it; then it's not needed, right?

The change is egg color is most likely genetic; it's probably something recessive that must be selected for, but ti's of very little importance; so I wouldn't stress over it.

HOpe everyone had a peaceful Thanksgiving……Thanks for the information……The eggs have been bright white til this latest laying season….so that is why i thought to ask….The new cockerel has a super disposition and seems fairly well built….I sometimes like to hang on to something that may be a bit farther out in lineage to try with a hen pair to see what develops,,,,if good all the better, if not….great soup….

Back
Top Bottom