The Ancona breeders thread

I'm a lot less discouraged but a lot angrier. There's a very good explanation of why little black [mites?] were all over our eggs. My sixteen year old who "cleans the nest boxes every Thursday" simply tops them off with fresh wood chips! When I put my hand inside one of the boxes I noticed it had clumped, caked on, stuff at the bottom, I scraped it with my fingernail against the junk. When it didn't move, I thought, how did this occur in three days since it was only three days since he was supposed to have deep-cleaned the nest boxes. I smelled my fingertips, they stunk like dead animal. I stuck my nose in one of the nest boxes, it stunk like dead animal. He's has never cleaned the nest boxes in two years! Yes, I guess you could blame me but when I check the boxes look like they're done, nice clean chips. Anyway, the crew and I bleached the nest boxes and rinsed them out thoroughly today, mixed in the DE with new fresh chips. Now I'll pick up some Pyrythrin and spray the chickens.

Haven't seen a bug since!

Joe, I'm getting eggs at about 60% now from the seven Ancona hens I have, they are large to extra large eggs.

I bought some red sex links in Feb just to work with for the year to be sure everything is fine (perfecting my trap nest) still haven't lost a bird this year, yay! Everything will be all set for the spring, I'm very excited.

Last edited:
Thank you,and also,I was just going to put a plastic,numbered leg band on each bird,and I was going to work with line breeding until I can find another place that sells them in small quantities,because I am looking to start a small hatchery next year,and my Ancona Bantams will be one of at least 10 breeds available. When I am finally able to get eggs hatched and am able to ship across the country,I will post on here letting everyone know. I will also be trying to sell started birds,for example,pairs and trios. I don't have a website,but I will hopefully by next year.
263a.png
I would backup your banding with another method, toe punch or wing band or a different band type… I have several breeds and they often lose their bands, particularly my Anconas.

Yeah,I think I may have,but when I first got them,they had either metal bands on,small plastic colored zip ties for bands,or they had both,along with that they were walking funny...they still walk a little weird,but I have had them for almost a week now...I cut the bands off the second day I had them. They seem to like it,and I debated whether or not to put a leg band on them...

I used wing bands, got them from Randell Burkey; Jiffy wing bands. They also sell the pliers to apply them. The day old chicks wings seemed a bit small for application of the bands, so I waited two weeks and there was plenty of space. All my remaining birds still have their Jiffy wing bands!
Once I'm breeding I'm going to trap nest, mark my eggs with the hen number etc. I'll hatch in 1/4" hardware cloth baskets, than use a brooder for each hens chicks until they are old enough (like I said two weeks) and than wing band them. This I will insure accurate records. I will know what begot what.

Do the wing bands have to be poked through the web on the wing? Because im not really comfortable with those types of bands...I had a broiler that had one of those,and it didn't look too comfortable on her,though she never really showed any signs of pain from it...I just don't really like doing that with my birds...I've never even dubbed any of my game chickens...

Do the wing bands have to be poked through the web on the wing? Because im not really comfortable with those types of bands...I had a broiler that had one of those,and it didn't look too comfortable on her,though she never really showed any signs of pain from it...I just don't really like doing that with my birds...I've never even dubbed any of my game chickens...
Yes, they're the kind that poke through the wing of the chicken. LOL, my wife and two of my daughters have pierced ears too! The chicks flap their wings a couple of times after you do it, than in about a minute they settle down and they never bother with it again. They're not hard to apply, there's even an instruction video. I think that as they are properly positioned all is ok!

This is one of my 19 Anconas. I live my hens they're about 4 months old. I also have 25 RIR,10 Minorcas and 9 White Leghorns. Fortunately I have an excellent watch dog,Hank to guard them,so they can free range.

Back
Top Bottom