The Best Black Copper Marans, Who has them?

I could name the handful of people that I have had the best success in sourcing stock from as I have worked with the breed, but the truth is that even the most capable breeders out there will tell you that their birds are not perfect.

Also every breeder has a different focus. If you wanting jumbo sized egg and get stock from someone that was breeding for dark egg color and keeping hens that only lay Large eggs if the color was darker you may be disappointed in what you get. Likewise if you want dark eggs and get stock from someone breeding for jumbo eggs and not keeping layers that don't meet the egg size requirement.

My best advise is to only buy Marans from someone that has been working with their current line for 3+ years. It takes time for the line to settle when passed from one breeder to the next since everyone makes there selection differently and the change in management can effect things like egg color, type, feather color, etc. I would find someone that has the same goals for the breed as you (i.e. don't get show line birds if you want top production or production line birds if you want top show birds, etc.) If possible someone in you area. Buying from a local breeder usually works out best.

Eggs - not mine though first prize at last weekend Nationals iirc

The eggs at the PCGB Nationals look awesome. Below are some eggs from my flock. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. which lines would give the best overall?

The Bev Davis, Wade Jean, Cottage Hill, and Little Peddler (LP) lines are the foundation lines in the USA. Others lines almost all are built on those four lines. All of the main lines have taken top prizes at the Poultry Shows and Egg Contest. The Wade Jean line has been play around with the most so unless you can find someone that got it early on you should probably pass on it. The Bev Davis line is type breed for egg color and as a result may lack in other areas such as hens that lack copper color in the hackles, etc. The main defect with the Cottage hill line is that the cockerels get white on their tail feathers after their 18 month molt. It is too early for me to say anything about the LP line. I am not sure how it is going to stack up with the other blood lines, but I won't get anything from that line until it is better established.

All the lines have pro's and cons as do mixed lines of Marans. Visiting a farm to see the birds and their eggs before buying is always a good idea. :)

Last edited:
I assume you have looked here
http://www.darkbrowneggs.info/

I am guessing that is Susan Shaw-Coopers' Website. If so, she was quite creative with her breeding methods. She told me that she trap nested all of the hens every day and had score cards and point system for egg color, finish, egg size, production rate, etc. and tracked her hens over a full laying season and multiples seasons to see who were the best performers. She now has re-homed all of her stock and will be doing some extensive travel. I met her through the Marans Chicken Club and ask her all of my Cream Legbar Questions when I started breeding them.

Last edited:
Anyone who raises them will tell you there's are the best!!! Lol.
I have been raising this breed for several years. I have hens and Roos from both Bev Davis line and the wade line. Both have their goods and bads. One has darker eggs, one has better feathered legs, all depends on what you are going for as a personal preference. The problem with this breed is avaability of good stock that has not been contanimated with other folks idea of what a BCM should look like. I will post a picture of my roo and this is what I think they should look like. Now you will get 25 different versions of what everyone else thinks they should look like.

[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom