The best broody breed

I’m not looking for APA standard birds I’m gonna buy from an online hatchery.

Well in that case it's going to be neither, or an in-between. Depends on how you look at it. Also, while the thread name of the thread is "best broody breed", what you're asking is the best breed for your situation, that's also a good broody. Because while the best broody breed period is the aseel (anyone wanting to debate me I'm up for it) it's definitely not the best breed for your situation. I'd also reconsider the silkies, phoenix are far better

I’m not looking for APA standard birds I’m gonna buy from an online hatchery.
Just check what they list in the APA there are LF Silikes so hatcherys should have them if they sell well.

Edit: they are only mentioned in passing in the correction pamphlet I got with the book. It may have been a typo. ☹ Anyways still they are out there and a hatchery may carry them.

Last edited:
Well in that case it's going to be neither, or an in-between. Depends on how you look at it. Also, while the thread name of the thread is "best broody breed", what you're asking is the best breed for your situation, that's also a good broody. Because while the best broody breed period is the aseel (anyone wanting to debate me I'm up for it) it's definitely not the best breed for your situation. I'd also reconsider the silkies, phoenix are far better
I would say alot of the game fowl are best broodies. Baring that a breed that is closer to wild type maybe?

I would say alot of the game fowl are best broodies. Baring that a breed that is closer to wild type maybe?

Yes, I should have clarified. Aseel, and more generally most if not all gamefowl. It probably does have something to do with how close they are to wild jungle fowl, though I don't know if a jungle fowl hen has the tenacity of an aseel hen

I have always wanted to hatch my chicks out under a broody hen. I had a mixed hen that went broody twice then was taken by a fox. We couldn’t let her hatch out chicks for numerous reasons. I have two buff Orpingtons and none have gone broody. I got a wyandotte chick and she is 8 weeks so she might be able to get it done. I need a LF breed that dose well in cold and heat as for egg color I would prefer a dark speakled or blue/green color for egg color but peach or white would be fine. I have been looking at standard Cochins but what are your thoughts?
I have jersey giants and buff orpingtons that are a year old and they never went broody I would say maybe Cochins? They seem like a broody breed if you didn’t mind small silkies I have some silkie teens I hope they might hatch when they come if laying age

We have a run enclosure for them but they don’t free range any more when I’m not home. We already have our chicks for this year but it takes me forever to make up my mind plus after this year’s chick craze I’m pre ordering mine wayyyyy ahead.
It's a smart idea to preorder :thumbsup

I couldn't find a single store within 20 mins of me that had chicks. Also, most of the online stores were out of stock.

We don't free-range our chickens either because of predator issues, but we have a large run for them and we let them free-range whenever we're close by.

I have always wanted to hatch my chicks out under a broody hen. I had a mixed hen that went broody twice then was taken by a fox. We couldn’t let her hatch out chicks for numerous reasons. I have two buff Orpingtons and none have gone broody. I got a wyandotte chick and she is 8 weeks so she might be able to get it done. I need a LF breed that dose well in cold and heat as for egg color I would prefer a dark speakled or blue/green color for egg color but peach or white would be fine. I have been looking at standard Cochins but what are your thoughts?
I have blue and black standard size Cochins and they go broody often.
You won't need many to get a broody.
If you get let's say 5 standard size Cochins you will probably get around 3 to go broody.
I only have 5 and 3 are broody right now.
Most go broody twice a year.
They are very protective mothers and can cover a lot of eggs/chicks because their large size.
They lay light brown eggs.

I had a satin silkie that would sit anywhere. She was so easy to move, put her in a cage, she’ll brood on the wires… so I’d just put her in a box with some eggs and she’d sit. I then brought her inside the house. took her off the eggs once or twice a day to eat…

I got my hands on an Ayam chemani cross. Who’s mother was a serial broody and a pullet from my only hen who even tried to go broody but we lost her. I’m getting home from my cruise on Sunday and I will get updated pictures then.

Attachments

• C1DF45DA-0FA8-4E96-8343-DFCDDDA98890.jpeg
    C1DF45DA-0FA8-4E96-8343-DFCDDDA98890.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 2
  • E6A8FCD0-E32A-4189-9A85-02F88337448A.jpeg
    E6A8FCD0-E32A-4189-9A85-02F88337448A.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 2
  • F78BACF4-84D5-4C57-A71E-82C466354FE4.jpeg
    F78BACF4-84D5-4C57-A71E-82C466354FE4.jpeg
    981.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom