THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

smile.png
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

I can't wait to tell my wife you said it was ok!!!
thumbsup.gif

Its payment for being my hatching resource!
lau.gif

I just set 29 eggs in the bator. Brinsea temp reads 99.4 at the top, digital meat thermometer reads 100.4 near the tray (egg level). The meat thermometer reads .2 high when tested in ice water, theoretically making the internal temp 100.2.

Should I lower my incubator temp setting a bit? It's set at 99.4 now.

Most of the eggs sat for 24 hours to rest, but the last 5 were delayed in the mail so I only rested them a few hours prior to setting. One set of instructions said to leave the turner off for 3-5 days, in other places I've read one day or not to leave it off at all. What do you think?

Thanks!

Its payment for being my hatching resource!  :lau

I just set 29 eggs in the bator.  Brinsea temp reads 99.4 at the top, digital meat thermometer reads 100.4 near the tray (egg level).  The meat thermometer reads .2 high when tested in ice water, theoretically making the internal temp 100.2.

Should I lower my incubator temp setting a bit? It's set at 99.4 now.

Most of the eggs sat for 24 hours to rest, but the last 5 were delayed in the mail so I only rested them a few hours prior to setting. One set of instructions said to leave the turner off for 3-5 days, in other places I've read one day or not to leave it off at all.  What do you think?

Thanks!
I would rather be just a touch high than a touch low. t half a degree low my hatch was delayed, but at half a degree high they pop right out on day 21. 100.2 isn't bad

Ecos are usually just under or just over $200 without the auto-turn cradle. I bought an Advance with the cradle for $360, and don't regret it one bit. The display is dead on, and combined with the Spot Check I feel like I have total control over the environment. To be totally honest, I don't use a second hygrometer. I have always gone by the one on the display (Advance shows humidity) and have had wonderful hatches.
I would love to have 2 incubators, and probably will by the end of the year, but not for staggered hatches. I would incubate and hatch in the same incubator, but I would like to have 2 so I could get 2 hatches/month. Demand for chicks in my area is high in the spring and summer, so the three weeks waiting for more chicks is killing me. I am saving money from selling chicks and eggs, so when there is enough left over, after buying feed and supplies, I will buy another. I'm just trying to decide if I want another 20, or a 40

Get a 40, and send one of your 20s to Amy
wink.png

Guess I'll leave them, and they'll be fine... (LOL) But seriously, thank you.

What are your thoughts about turning the first 3 days with shipped eggs?

Yep, you understand now
wink.png

I have no experience, but if someone were to give me shipped eggs right now, and I had to incubate them, I wouldn't turn for the first 3 days. I have read a lot of posts on BYC that say that
Get a 40, and send one of your 20s to Amy
wink.png
She would just hurt herself
gig.gif

Thanks scflock & annjee.  
I will keep my eyes on Amazon.com for sale prices  If anyone out there comes across a reduced rates please pass the info along.  What can I expect to pay?    
As you suggest I plan to get a Spot Check thermometer.  Also your thoughts on owning 2 incubators.. seems like a smart decision.  .     
Any recommendations on a hygrometer (yes or no) brand names/model and where to shop?  

So wish I had an Octagon 40. Let's see, for an Octagon 20 thru Brinsea, without the turner, it is about 161 before shipping. I think that is the current sale price and you can usually just ask for the 10% off. Truthfully, I still got a better price on Amazon. Regardless of where you go, don't forget to register on Brinsea within 30 days with the SN. They were covering with a 3 year warranty as of April 1st .

I don't think the Brinsea Spot Check was a bad price. I also got the incubator warehouse incu therm therm/hygrometer. I just found a national geographic digital therm/hygrometer from petsmart. It was around $15. I just salt tested and it was perfect! It has very tiny wires that can fit under the edges.

Back
Top Bottom