The Buckeye Thread

I personally do not use any artificial lighting. Even the two older houses were built to maximize usage of natural light and to a greater degree (lots of glass) in construction of the house built for our projects that was completed last fall. I've simply failed to see any percentage in forcing the birds to lay.

I'm not judging, just commenting.

For show purposes, I need to have chicks hatched as early in the new year as I possibly can, so forcing them to lay in Winter is necessary for me. I have several customers who are 4-Hers who also need those earlier hatches, so it makes it necessary to add light.

bgood - I started with 8 lights that emit an equivalent of 25W per bulb. Two years ago, that seemed to be enough to get them going. Last year was just a crazy, stupid year, as you know, so I don't even count what happened then into being part of any norm. What I just put in is just 2 75W LEDs I am going to get a couple more too and probably go ever other pen. Since my coop is an open air type, I use indoor/outdoor type bulbs.

Last edited:
Are you using those light just for lighting or for heat. Not sure if you are aware or not but LEDs omit very light heat.

For show purposes, I need to have chicks hatched as early in the new year as I possibly can, so forcing them to lay in Winter is necessary for me.  I have several customers who are 4-Hers who also need those earlier hatches, so it makes it necessary to add light. 

bgood - I started with 8 lights that emit an equivalent of 25W per bulb.  Two years ago, that seemed to be enough to get them going.  Last year was just a crazy, stupid year, as you know, so I don't even count what happened then into being part of any norm.  What I just put in is just 2 75W LEDs  I am going to get a couple more too and probably go ever other pen. Since my coop is an open air type, I use indoor/outdoor type bulbs.

We have Buckeyes, Hatching eggs now, Chicks soon (in the incubator).

We also have some extra Buckeye Cockerels.

Also, Bresse, Dominiques., and, a few Silkies and Bantam Choc Orpington.

NPIP / AI clean certified!

Anybody made the Buckbar yet? A barred, autosexing buckeye?

As a breed? I don't know anyone who has done it. As a hybrid, I've done F1's and really like the results. The cockerels weren't much compared to regular production Barred Rocks. About the same in size and similar in looks. The hens, however, were beautiful black sex links with soft feathers, nice producers of abundant brown eggs and a few streaks of red in the neck area. Very docile, friendly girls that made a nice addition to the flock.

My Molly laid her first egg!
1960067_876437575747473_6960642111926893469_n.jpg

1798054_876437572414140_434395173071739566_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom