The Buckeye Thread

Hi Josh!

This is my flock of 14 pullets' first North Idaho winter -- they are free-rangers and were used to only spending time indoors to roost at night. After the first snow of a few inches and night temps down to 18o, they were intrepid and unphased. When snow packed to 15 inches and it hit 8 below - staying in the coop was just fine, thank you very much! After a few freeze-thaws over the last 2 weeks most are venturing outdoors again. Iced-over snow proved a bit of a challenge for them- but they are actually pretty good at skating.
wink.png

Really happy with the egg production during the winter which as stayed at 8-10/day since early Nov (they first started laying in Sept). No artificial light and good production despite short daylight hours here in the north.

The ups and downs of temps is never good on the flock, but my Buckeyes have weathered all the cold and storms so far, along with those nasty damp, chilly days we had. Getting started on a warmer next few days, which I hope produce more eggs. My Buckeyes hold up in the cold just fine though. We hit -19 with windchill at -40 the other night and even though my coop design is open-air (windows open all year long), they just fluffed up and held on. I still got a few eggs, but some were cracked already when I got to them.

I have just started my first hatch of the year, and wouldn't you know, the first ones out of the shell are those little Buckeyes! It is looking like a better year so far here in Minnesota, but we still have a few weeks of cold to get through.

This might be par for the course for you long-time Buckeye folks but it's a new situation to me. I have a 7 month old pullet that simply will not be broken from 'set'. I've use the normal 'treatments' but to no avail with her so I decided to let her be a welfare mom, if she insists. Gave her 8 hybrid eggs this afternoon, just to see what she's made of.

I was thinking of saving some Dark Cornish to use as setters but if the Bucks will do it...fine with me...in fact, I might use both breeds.

We are selling (have sold) 99% of the laying flocks and I cant see having to use out somewhat large and VERY old incubator for a relatively few eggs and we have been considering going with setters for a while but just got the wild hair with this gal. Selling eggs to the public is cutting into our time for our new interests...breeding/showing NNs and Buckeyes, plus a few other meat projects.

My son who lives in Ky bought a smaller (very nice) new incubator before the holidays and he might not need it, considering the number of DC pullets he has retained...I might take that off his hands....just in case.
idunno.gif
thumbsup.gif

If you have the space to let her set, then go for it. It is always a personal choice on how to handle these situations. I have never had a hard time breaking my Buckeyes from brooding by just pulling them off the nest for a few days. Must be my line isn't as broody as others.
Good luck with her.

If you have the space to let her set, then go for it. It is always a personal choice on how to handle these situations. I have never had a hard time breaking my Buckeyes from brooding by just pulling them off the nest for a few days. Must be my line isn't as broody as others.
Good luck with her.

I have lots of space and when the folks arrive to pick up the layers, We'll have two empty barns. They were supposed to be here in mid Feb. but they called a couple days ago, wanting to know if they could come next weekend. Absolutely! The birds are paid for so they could come today if they wanted. I told them I would like at least 1 day notice to make sure we keep the birds in and I have help here to get them collected.

The hatching season is kicking off slow for me, but so far I do have a few Buckeyes out of the shell and growing in the brooder house. I have a couple more small batches in the bator too. It seems that December was a good laying month, but January is wanting. Not many eggs right now, and I think it is in large part because of the yo-yo weather we have been getting this year. The girls just don't know what the heck they are supposed to be doing. The last week or so has been pretty decent here and the next few look good, but then back to normal freezing temps and edging down around the zero mark here. I will take what warmer days I can so I can get all the pens clean and fresh for the new few weeks of cold that will keep things a bit hard to get out with a shovel. Spring isn't too far off though and I will have plenty of peepers to take care of and hopefully sell to those in need of new chicks for their flocks!

Back
Top Bottom