The Buckeye Thread

You are welcome. Feel free to ask any questions you have. I don't know everything but I have access to a lot of people who combined can get the answers you need.

Happy Holidays Buckeye enthusiasts. 2014 was a great year the buckeye breed with many nice birds doing well in exhibition. 2015 will surely be better. Check out my website below for respectable representative examples of the breed. I'll be expanding my website in a couple of weeks. There will information regarding the breed as well as what I do to show prep my fowl. Really pretty simple really....nothing...lol....just let chickens be chickens and the cream will rise if they have been bred and reared properly. I'll also discuss feed....there are many myths and inaccurate assumptions being spread about regarding this breed.......I'll also include other breeds that I'm working with including the Buckeye Bantams and Dark Aseels (A breed that is VERY similar to the birds used to actually create the buckeye)

Happy holidays!

Same to you and yours, Joe. Looking forward to seeing the new site and learning more from you. I've heard some very contrasting and downright worrying things about feeding and caring for Buckeyes. It would be nice to hear more from someone who actually knows what he's doing.

I agree. I would listen to a master exhibitor before an internet expert every time. Not to mention Shumaker farms beautiful quality fowl.

Oh and let's not forget healthy as well.

Last edited:
There have been differing schools of thought on how best to feed the Buckeye. Some think you have to feed a high protein, game type feed, to achieve good results, others use just good quality feed along with pasture raising and achieve good results.
I find that feeding a good quality feed between 17-19% protein, regardless of on pasture or in their enclosed breeding pens. My Buckeyes achieve SOP weights with no problems. This goes along with having good genetics in a line so they do achieve their target weights. You shouldn't have to pump extra protein into birds to get them there. It is a waste of money and could potentially cause harm to the birds. By forcing a very high protein, it causes them to work their livers and kidneys harder, which is counterproductive to getting a productive bird for he long run. Heck, I don't even feed my meat birds anything over 20% protein.
Anyway, that is where that comment stems from.

What is the average weight for an adult hen? I am trying to figure out how old my bird is (see above pics of Molly) she is just over 4.5 lbs and has not laid any eggs for me.

Back
Top Bottom