The Buckeye Thread

Pics
Just wanted to drop in and say hi. We are in Northern Colorado and have 2 Buckeye girls that are my personal favorites! They are so sweet, funny and smart. Thanks for sharing all the info!

If I can find a Buckeye rooster, I think I am gonna scoop him up. Absolutely love this breed.

Well poop.... Knitty posted those pix of the beautiful chicks and now all I can think of is how to hatch some of my own out before the end of August - our first frost is usually between October 15th to the 31st. Anyone out there with experience in late hatches?

Anytime I had late hatches I wound up with birds in my basement, just beware of that.

Just wanted to drop in and say hi. We are in Northern Colorado and have 2 Buckeye girls that are my personal favorites! They are so sweet, funny and smart. Thanks for sharing all the info!

If I can find a Buckeye rooster, I think I am gonna scoop him up. Absolutely love this breed.
Welcome to the thread! I am sure that by this fall there will be lots of "extra" cockerels around. If you can't find one near you, perhaps someone could ship one to you?

Do older birds ship well ? What should one ask for and look for when ordering an older bird to be shipped ???

thanks

Do older birds ship well ? What should one ask for and look for when ordering an older bird to be shipped ???

thanks
Older birds ship just fine, as long as it's cool enough to do so.

The upside is, you get a bird that has been evaluated to ensure it meets the Standard (depending on age, of course.)

The downside is, shipping isn't cheap. It must be done via Express Mail, and between the cost of the box and the postage itself, can run you anywhere from $45 to $65 or more, depending on the age and weight of the bird. That's on top of whatever you're paying for the bird(s) itself.

Going through the old thread, I found a good question asked, and will throw it out to you all:

For those of you who vaccinate your birds, what do you vaccinate them for, and why?

007medic .... I don't know how - but I missed your long post about Roo behavior

chicken-leg-rex trying to take a plug outta' you !!!! HA HA HA HA YES, my first experience with a roo was one of these ... and he did sneak and just WATCH me for a chance to streak in and attack my legs. That is not what I want - and he actually became dog food. I also, am ashamed to say - but I punted him like a football and he just came back for more.

However - like the OE that thought about taking on a donkey - I do know some will have the best of both - and that is a boy I would love to spoil !!!! I am not delusional - I know that the chances of winning against a fox are slim - but the fight will save the girls! And if I am home, the noise could bring me running and I might be able to save the roo too .....

Gotta dream to get what you want ....
lol.png

and thanks for the clarification between behavior and aggression - that is pretty much the dividing line I have in my mind too - and I also like it when a roo rushes over to me as a hen I am holding calls out.

Last edited:
DD#2 and I were up at the crack of dawn today to band and go through the 3.5 month olds. Pulled out a couple of pullets to sell to a non-breeder for pets (had some minor issues I didn't want to deal with), and banded the rest. Thank goodness it was cooler after last night's rain!

My 15 week old roo watches out for the pullets AND the lesser roos. He comes running over to see what's going on when I pick up any one of them. However, he doesn't challenge me.

My 15 week old roo watches out for the pullets AND the lesser roos. He comes running over to see what's going on when I pick up any one of them. However, he doesn't challenge me.
Sounds like just what you want! A male who watches over his wives, but doesn't get too uppity with you.

Back
Top Bottom