The Buckeye Thread

Let's discuss temperament and if breeding selection has an impact on mentality. In the past some lines of buckeyes were described as mean as snakes. I owned such a bird(deceased now).

I think inbreeding to bring the bucks back from the brink of extinction and not selecting temperment as a trait brought this about.

Purdue is running studies on a line of egg layers were they are selectively breeding the pecking trait out of the egg layers which are confined to small areas.

As buck breeders should we also explore breeding for temperment? Or are the ones that display natural meanness mentally unstable? Or another option is it the "game" coming out in them from a recessive gene?
My first thought would be the recessive gene, but then again it could be also the way they are raised to a certain degree. If not handled as they grow then possibily they could end up being on the mean side. Would like to hear what Walt and Joe have to say on this subject.

Walt I was refering to the color of the legs between utility stock and exhibition stock; ideally they should be the same but that isn't always the case. As far the spacing to the legs you are correct but isn't spacing of the legs directly related to type? As I mentioned; type should be consistent between both. So, yes the spacing should resemble that of a large framed bird, be it the Indian game or the other LF genes in the breed. It's good you bring that aspect up; I've noticed that the wider the back gets; the farther the spread between the legs become. On many of my birds now; it is not uncommon to be able to put the entire width of your hand between the legs even at 7-8 months of age.

The width of legs is an indication of the capacity for the organs. If the organs are pushed into a tight place the bird will not be a thrifty bird and will be of no use as a show or utility bird.

w.

The width of legs is an indication of the capacity for the organs. If the organs are pushed into a tight place the bird will not be a thrifty bird and will be of no use as a show or utility bird.

w.

That seems like common sense in breeding any animal. The wider the chest/body cavity the larger the organs which then would equate out to better laying, more meat etc.

With bucks we should all be breeding for a wider back and larger spread between the legs so that the bird appears balanced and has a better weight distribution. IMO

So,
My daughter who is in FFA has a coop in progress for her SAE..
My question to all of you who may know. The buckeyes at local fairs are few. But those monster white meat birds are all over the place. We have been talking about putting the bucks in her project for next year as a dual purpose entry not just in the meat class.
Her advisor isn't really knowledgable on FFA poultry etc.
Our thought was bucks are a renewable food source and conservation etc is part of her platform using recycled materials etc for the coop.
Any thoughts on bucks in FFA programs?
May be an odd question. But thought I'd ask.
And when showing birds for youth class any thoughts on preparing her? Other than knowing her SOP?
Thanks for letting me ramble over my coffee today. :)

This is a great idea and not odd at all, IMO. I'm hoping more 4H and FFA programs explore this idea. Currently I'm a member of my counties poultry committee in respect to the 4H program. I'm currently trying to make a class for dual purpose breeds such as the buckeye in the meat market program. I feel that is kind of program or class would greatly enlighten the realization of the homestead concept.

That seems like common sense in breeding any animal. The wider the chest/body cavity the larger the organs which then would equate out to better laying, more meat etc.

With bucks we should all be breeding for a wider back and larger spread between the legs so that the bird appears balanced and has a better weight distribution. IMO

Very good point! Balance is critical

Completely off topic, but, that's a nice flower Happy Buckeye. Is that a Grandpa Ott, Early Call or Star of Yelta?

Hi Buffalogal- we just call those Morning Glories...kind of like weeds, they cover over the back fence and I have to keeping pulling them out.. I just liked the way the sun was shining through them when I took the picture.

That's part of why I like the Buckeyes so much. I love seeing the garnet red showing through the feathers in the sun when you look closely. It's a really pretty red, almost like a cardinal feather up close, but then when you stand back the color just blends into a real deep mohagany color. I also have some New Hampshire Reds that are beautiful coloring, but the Buckeye color is much deeper and I like it better. It's the pretty things that catch my eye, just wish I was better at taking pictures.
I've been reading though this thread this morning, and to tell you the truth, I'm really confused about all of the details you all have been talking about. I'm just getting into the showing aspect. We raise chickens for meat and eggs mostly. I wanted to raise Buckeyes after learning about the history of the breed and so two years ago, I picked up an assortment of Buckeyes from various swaps. I went to the Lucasville show this year trying to see good examples of Buckeyes so I could compair them with what I have. The Buckeye cock that won and made it to chapion row was really nice looking. Man I wish my chickens were to that level. I can see why people like to show chickens. I also went to the show in Columbus about a week ago. It was worth the drive for all the other fine chickens there, but it didn't seem like the Buckeyes were quite as nice. Maybe it was just the lighting or something, but they just didn't seem as flashy as the first ones I saw in Lucasville. Makes me not feel so bad about the Buckeyes I hatched this last year.
Well, anyway, I hope to pick up lots of tips about getting my Buckeyes up to the SoP so I can show soon too. Many times you go to the small fairs and stuff and there's not a single Buckeye.

Thank you. So what are your thoughts on this? You've bred many strains of birds over the years. What has your training taught you in regards to temperament, selective breeding and recessive genes?

Breeding and selection in regards to proper temperament is important. This helps to maintain your flock and breed toward docile and calm birds, IMO! Buckeyes by nature are extremely mild mannered and docile birds. Never breed a buckeye that is nervous or just acts stupid! No matter how well he fits the standard or how good someone says the bird is. I feel that is basic common sense in brood fowl selection. This same principle goes for really aggressive birds as well! Faults in temperament usually have something to do with poor breeding techniques!
Proper handling can be an aspect to be considered but good, properly bred MATURE birds make handling them easy regardless of one's experience level!

Let's discuss temperament and if breeding selection has an impact on mentality. In the past some lines of buckeyes were described as mean as snakes. I owned such a bird(deceased now).

I think inbreeding to bring the bucks back from the brink of extinction and not selecting temperment as a trait brought this about.

Purdue is running studies on a line of egg layers were they are selectively breeding the pecking trait out of the egg layers which are confined to small areas.

As buck breeders should we also explore breeding for temperment? Or are the ones that display natural meanness mentally unstable? Or another option is it the "game" coming out in them from a recessive gene?

Really? some people have mean Buckeyes?...My are really friendly, but then so are many of the game breeds we have so I'm not sure that is the link. Probably just how they are raised, but then, I don't know much about that.

Hi Buffalogal- we just call those Morning Glories...kind of like weeds, they cover over the back fence and I have to keeping pulling them out.. I just liked the way the sun was shining through them when I took the picture.

That's part of why I like the Buckeyes so much. I love seeing the garnet red showing through the feathers in the sun when you look closely. It's a really pretty red, almost like a cardinal feather up close, but then when you stand back the color just blends into a real deep mohagany color. I also have some New Hampshire Reds that are beautiful coloring, but the Buckeye color is much deeper and I like it better. It's the pretty things that catch my eye, just wish I was better at taking pictures.
I've been reading though this thread this morning, and to tell you the truth, I'm really confused about all of the details you all have been talking about. I'm just getting into the showing aspect. We raise chickens for meat and eggs mostly. I wanted to raise Buckeyes after learning about the history of the breed and so two years ago, I picked up an assortment of Buckeyes from various swaps. I went to the Lucasville show this year trying to see good examples of Buckeyes so I could compair them with what I have. The Buckeye cock that won and made it to chapion row was really nice looking. Man I wish my chickens were to that level. I can see why people like to show chickens. I also went to the show in Columbus about a week ago. It was worth the drive for all the other fine chickens there, but it didn't seem like the Buckeyes were quite as nice. Maybe it was just the lighting or something, but they just didn't seem as flashy as the first ones I saw in Lucasville. Makes me not feel so bad about the Buckeyes I hatched this last year.
Well, anyway, I hope to pick up lots of tips about getting my Buckeyes up to the SoP so I can show soon too. Many times you go to the small fairs and stuff and there's not a single Buckeye.

Welcome Happybuckeye. I agree that there are inconsistencies in birds that are shown. Check out the website blueface has in his tag line and see if those were what you saw in lucasville.

Back
Top Bottom