The Buckeye Thread

Hey Turk,

There are several breeders in your area that are within driving distance. I know for a fact that at least one of them has chicks right now. PM me for contact info.

Thank you.  I live in Kentucky on 3 acres near Louisville, where I work but we are moving to a 225 acre farm, not too far from Frankfort. We should be moved in by the end of the month.

Make sure that you do the necessary research to ensure you secure birds that suit your needs and expectations of the breed.....There was a nice poultry shown in Frankfort this past April. Buckeyes did really well.

Make sure that you do the necessary research to ensure you secure birds that suit your needs and expectations of the breed.....There was a nice poultry shown in Frankfort this past April. Buckeyes did really well.
Thank you. W were not even aware of the show or we would have gone. We have been to a few shows and enjoy them but in all honesty, we have no interest in ever showing chickens. We are interested in having birds that will provide us with a reasonable amount of eggs but in the end, will be excellent table fare. We both work very long hours and we both have other interests that would preclude taking time to show chickens. I suppose, like anything else, if we really wanted to do something like showing...we'd make or find the time but it's just not us.

If this thread is strictly for show people, please let me know and I will un-subscribe immediately.

Last edited:
Thank you. W were not even aware of the show or we would have gone. We have been to a few shows and enjoy them but in all honesty, we have no interest in ever showing chickens. We are interested in having birds that will provide us with a reasonable amount of eggs but in the end, will be excellent table fare. We both work very long hours and we both have other interests that would preclude taking time to show chickens. I suppose, like anything else, if we really wanted to do something like showing...we'd make or find the time but it's just not us.

If this thread is strictly for show people, please let me know and I will un-subscribe immediately.

This thread is whatever you want it to be, buckeyes are a wonderful breed...some people show them, some don't but we all value their abilities on the farm. IMO, this thread is to talk about the breed in a good light (hopefully) and to share experiences. Good luck with them and I hope they meet your expectations and suit your needs!! I just threw that show out there because it was close to you....they have a couple of them yearly and a buckeye seems to always so up. Have a great day.

Quote:
Please don't un-subscribe. Everyone is welcome. There are both show breeders and non-show people on this thread. Show breeders are mentioned only because birds from these breeders are likely to be higher quality than those from casual breeders or hatchery birds. Show breeders are focusing on developing a bird that demenstrates all the qualities of the ideal Buckeye, as described in the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection (SOP). When you start with good quality stock that meets the breed standards, then you're more likely to be happy with your birds.

Thanks again to blufac3 and Sydney acres and the others who have welcomed me. I am just completely overwhelmed right now to the point of exhaustion. I should be in bed getting ready for my shift tonight but I'm so stressed I can't sleep. I should have continued living the same way as I did in college, milk crates for furniture and beds that could be rolled up and carried on your back!

I hate moving and I probably should wait 'til we get finished before even looking for new chickens...but I cant.

Thanks for your understanding.

Moving is a major stress, so it's understandable, don't worry. Good luck with that and enjoy your new farm. With 225 acres to play with you'll have room for lots of chickens! (Better watch out, we are all enablers here
wink.png
)

Thanks again to blufac3 and Sydney acres and the others who have welcomed me. I am just completely overwhelmed right now to the point of exhaustion. I should be in bed getting ready for my shift tonight but I'm so stressed I can't sleep. I should have continued living the same way as I did in college, milk crates for furniture and beds that could be rolled up and carried on your back!

I hate moving and I probably should wait 'til we get finished before even looking for new chickens...but I cant.

Thanks for your understanding.

I remember those days -- moved every year, and everything I owned fit in my Volkswagon Bug and my friend's Chevy Van. Took 4 hours to pack up and go, if I wanted to do it carefully and stay organized and thoroughly clean afterwards. Life was so simple then. My last two moves were across country, took over a month to organize and pack, two huge moving vans, 5 days driving, and 3 months to unpack and reorganize. I never, ever, ever want to move again!!! My sympathies on your upcoming adventure!! And don't worry, it will get better when you're finished.

Think of looking for chickens as your distraction from all the stress. Just remember that you need to have a secure area available for them BEFORE you bring them home. You won't know what kind of predator pressure you'll have in a new place for a while, and you don't want to lose them to a predator because you got them before your set-up was ready.

I remember those days -- moved every year, and everything I owned fit in my Volkswagon Bug and my friend's Chevy Van. Took 4 hours to pack up and go, if I wanted to do it carefully and stay organized and thoroughly clean afterwards. Life was so simple then. My last two moves were across country, took over a month to organize and pack, two huge moving vans, 5 days driving, and 3 months to unpack and reorganize. I never, ever, ever want to move again!!! My sympathies on your upcoming adventure!! And don't worry, it will get better when you're finished.

Think of looking for chickens as your distraction from all the stress. Just remember that you need to have a secure area available for them BEFORE you bring them home. You won't know what kind of predator pressure you'll have in a new place for a while, and you don't want to lose them to a predator because you got them before your set-up was ready.

There are predators a plenty! This was my grand mothers farm that I inherited from her. Excellent chicken facilities in place that has been cleaned and sanitized. The whole chicken area is fenced (thanks to my partner) with 4 foot electric poultry netting and a good electric charger with solar back-up. It's more ready for chickens than us.

Turk, I just moved into my new farm last June and there is always something new that seems to be an "emergency"; all great things come in time!! It took me nearly 20 years to finally find this wonderful breed of poultry!!! You'll get there, just make sure that you are ready for them because if your not, bad things happen and disappointment is no fun. Pace yourself, learn as much as you can and when your ready; they'll be waiting for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom