The Buckeye Thread

Thanks to everyone for the information I needed to "kill" the broodiness in my hen. The simple grass bottomed run during the day and the pet carrier at night broke her in a few days. Everything is back to normal. No more insanity and turkey imitations. :)

Thanks to everyone for the information I needed to "kill" the broodiness in my hen. The simple grass bottomed run during the day and the pet carrier at night broke her in a few days. Everything is back to normal. No more insanity and turkey imitations. :)

That's wonderful! I'm glad it works for other people also. It's so much easier on us, and so much more comfortable for the hens, than the elevated wire bottom cage. Thank you so much for the feedback.

I am looking for a nice dual purpose breed and a friend recommended Buckeyes. I've read a little bit about the breed and they seem to be what I'm looking for, but I have a few more questions, before I decide. Apologies if these have been answered here already, but would like to know, first of all, what are they like with children? Are they friendly? I have a small child that likes "helping" take care of the animals. What are they like as meat birds? I don't want a broiler, but I do like my chickens to have some meat on their bones. Also, do they free range well? (I'd like to free range my flock).

Glad it all worked! My turkey is still breathing fire so I'm leaving her be. Silly bird.
1f608.png

I am looking for a nice dual purpose breed and a friend recommended Buckeyes. I've read a little bit about the breed and they seem to be what I'm looking for, but I have a few more questions, before I decide. Apologies if these have been answered here already, but would like to know, first of all, what are they like with children? Are they friendly? I have a small child that likes "helping" take care of the animals. What are they like as meat birds? I don't want a broiler, but I do like my chickens to have some meat on their bones. Also, do they free range well? (I'd like to free range my flock). 

Welcome! The buckeye is a wonderful dual purpose bird. I've found them to be very friendly, almost like small puppies as they love to follow me around and get under foot.

Mine free range during the day. As for meat birds they will give you a nice carcass if fed properly or allowed to free range.

Please see my tag line and come see our groups breeder listing. Some might at this point have pairs or trios they are willing to part with for utility bird breeding or if you're interested in showing you might find some as well. We also have a large FB club.

Buckeyes thrive on free range management!! My Buckeye works hard from dawn to dusk, constantly foraging and loving it. She is independent, curious, and friendly. And she's meatier than my Speckled Sussex girls, which is a breed known for their table qualities. At 11 months old, she weighs 7 lbs, and not at all fat (SOP calls for a 6.5 lb hen, so she's a tiny bit larger than average, but she roams and works, which builds meat). They are know to have amazing thighs, so if you only like breast meat there are other breeds that emphasize breast over thighs. But if you really like dark meat, or prefer a well rounded bird, you'll be very happy with the Buckeye. Plus, very nice eggs -- large to almost extra large in her pullet year, so may be a little larger next year, and 5-6 per week so far.

Since you want a bird with all the appropriate farm utility qualities, but also need a bird that is child friendly, you need to ask the breeder about their line specifically. All breeds have a reputation as having a particular temperament, but unfortunately that is not a quality that is described in the SOP. Some breeders will select for temperament, and others don't. That means that there are some lines out there that will be wonderful, friendly birds that are safe with small children, and a few lines that should not be around children at all. This is true of all breeds, not just the Buckeye. In general, Buckeyes are very even tempered, calm, friendly, and child-safe birds. But it is very important to ask, because different lines will have different personalities.

Last edited:
Buckeyes thrive on free range management!! My Buckeye works hard from dawn to dusk, constantly foraging and loving it. She is independent, curious, and friendly. And she's meatier than my Speckled Sussex girls, which is a breed known for their table qualities. At 11 months old, she weighs 7 lbs, and not at all fat (SOP calls for a 6.5 lb hen, so she's a tiny bit larger than average, but she roams and works, which builds meat). They are know to have amazing thighs, so if you only like breast meat there are other breeds that emphasize breast over thighs. But if you really like dark meat, or prefer a well rounded bird, you'll be very happy with the Buckeye. Plus, very nice eggs -- large to almost extra large in her pullet year, so may be a little larger next year, and 5-6 per week so far.

Since you want a bird with all the appropriate farm utility qualities, but also need a bird that is child friendly, you need to ask the breeder about their line specifically. All breeds have a reputation as having a particular temperament, but unfortunately that is not a quality that is described in the SOP. Some breeders will select for temperament, and others don't. That means that there are some lines out there that will be wonderful, friendly birds that are safe with small children, and a few lines that should not be around children at all. This is true of all breeds, not just the Buckeye. In general, Buckeyes are very even tempered, calm, friendly, and child-safe birds. But it is very important to ask, because different lines will have different personalities.
I enjoy reading the 'reviews' of breeds and haven't yet seen the Buckeye get reviewed. What I have noticed that every breed that is reviewed gets marks from every point of the spectrum...from demonic creatures to Gifts from Heaven. I have yet to own my first Buckeye but I have owned a lot of chickens over the years. I would totally agree with everything stated by Sydney Acres, based on my research of the breed.

For us, I wouldn't worry about a cockerel that is a bit uppity because there are never any children around our place but I do understand why a parent or grand parent would be concerned about the temperament of any chicken (or a pet) that might be coming into the family area. It has also been my experience that a cockerel or cock can turn instantly, meaning that they can go for a very long time and be the perfect gentleman but something can trigger them to act pretty aggressively toward children or other strangers, with out notice.

Sydney won Reserve Champion American in the Junior class today with a buckeye cock in Lucasville, OH. The buckeyes fell just short in the open being one of the best 3 birds if the class! It was a good day filled with fun and friends.....one thing that I really appreciated was the judge in the open wanting buckeyes to be darker?!?! I love a DARK buckeye and it was nice to hear a judge echo the same comments!! I personally enjoyed the comments regarding "this is how a buckeye should be built......nice bird!"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom