The Buckeye Thread

I enjoy reading the 'reviews' of breeds and haven't yet seen the Buckeye get reviewed.  What I have noticed that every breed that is reviewed gets marks from every point of the spectrum...from demonic creatures to Gifts from Heaven.  I have yet to own my first Buckeye but I have owned a lot of chickens over the years.  I would totally agree with everything stated by Sydney Acres, based on my research of the breed. 

For us, I wouldn't worry about a cockerel that is a bit uppity because there are never any children around our place but I do understand why a parent or grand parent would be concerned about the temperament of any chicken (or a pet) that might be coming into the family area.  It has also been my experience that a cockerel or cock can turn instantly, meaning that they can go for a very long time and be the perfect gentleman but something can trigger them to act pretty aggressively toward children or other strangers, with out notice.

I have only had one line of buckeyes "turn" and that was ALBC based.

We tell anyone in the group if the roo is mean follow the normal breaking methods. If that doesn't work then chicken noodle soup.

Buckeyes are known for friendliness and wanting to see what you're doing. My Roos follow me all over.

Sydney won Reserve Champion American in the Junior class today with a buckeye cock in Lucasville, OH. The buckeyes fell just short in the open being one of the best 3 birds if the class! It was a good day filled with fun and friends.....one thing that I really appreciated was the judge in the open wanting buckeyes to be darker?!?! I love a DARK buckeye and it was nice to hear a judge echo the same comments!! I personally enjoyed the comments regarding "this is how a buckeye should be built......nice bird!"

Congrats to Sydney!!! I love hearing what the judge has to say about feather color. Seeing as one of my buddies has nice dark feathers coming in :-D

Thank you everyone, for the feedback and the detailed answers. I really appreciate this!

Sydney acres, thank you for the info on the lines and temperament. I will definitely ask the breeders when I'm ready to purchase some birds, what their temperament is like. I got attacked by the neighbour's mean cockerel when I was a young child and it hurt me quite bad. That is why I'm so concerned about temperament, I do not want an unfriendly, aggressive cock going after my child. I do want to have a cockerel in the flock though, because I'd like to let the hens hatch some chicks for us at some stage and also because I hear cockerels are good to have around when the flock is free ranging, which I would like to have mine do.

Thank you everyone, for the feedback and the detailed answers. I really appreciate this!

Sydney acres, thank you for the info on the lines and temperament. I will definitely ask the breeders when I'm ready to purchase some birds, what their temperament is like. I got attacked by the neighbour's mean cockerel when I was a young child and it hurt me quite bad. That is why I'm so concerned about temperament, I do not want an unfriendly, aggressive cock going after my child. I do want to have a cockerel in the flock though, because I'd like to let the hens hatch some chicks for us at some stage and also because I hear cockerels are good to have around when the flock is free ranging, which I would like to have mine do.

You're welcome :-D

Thanks Sara! Raising buckeyes for their great utility and showing this breed is really fun. It is quite rewarding known that your efforts are materializing. For the most part; there is a great group of people raising them and the birds that are being bred properly as Nettie intended under the SOP guidelines are getting noticed. I had the opportunity to speak with several people and have great interests in the breed. One guy actually told me that he really appreciated my time, knowledge and point of view. He was however irritated that I was nothing like others had suggested. He also mentioned that he felt sorry for the buckeye because of sour egos and poor sports but that is the way it is with most breeds.

Thanks Sara! Raising buckeyes for their great utility and showing this breed is really fun. It is quite rewarding known that your efforts are materializing. For the most part; there is a great group of people raising them and the birds that are being bred properly as Nettie intended under the SOP guidelines are getting noticed. I had the opportunity to speak with several people and have great interests in the breed. One guy actually told me that he really appreciated my time, knowledge and point of view. He was however irritated that I was nothing like others had suggested. He also mentioned that he felt sorry for the buckeye because of sour egos and poor sports but that is the way it is with most breeds.

You're welcome! And it's Sara"h" smack! :p

Keep breeding to Nettie's vision, enjoying what you do and you will be happy with the results. I know I am :-D

One option that might work for you would be to get an adult trio or quad from a breeder with young children. Cockerels are a bit unpredictable -- they can start out as lap birds and suddenly get testosterone poisoning and change their temperament quickly. Basically they're teenage boys with sharp weapons, and you hope they mind their manners. An adult cock that's been through a breeding season with no outbursts of aggression to small children is a proven commodity. Whenever you work with animals, especially breeding males, there's never a guarantee that they won't suddenly change their behavior, but a cock that has gotten through his first year without a problem is much, much less likely to pose a threat. And don't forget that such a bird is worth paying extra for.

If you can't find one, a second option would be to buy chicks from a breeder with young children who help with the birds. Most breeders want birds that are easy to work with and won't cause them to get complaints from their buyers, and will therefore select for a good temperament. But the breeders with young, helpful children -- you can bet that mean cockerels are de-selected quickly, leaving only the nice boys to breed.

Well, success at last...I managed to get 4 hatchlings out of my dozen shipped eggs (with an assisted hatch even on one of them)...so to date I've got 4, count them 4, Buckeye chicks hatched this week by my broody Silkie.

Curious now, I've heard Buckeyes are harder to sex than some breeds...what signs are particular to this breed...or do I need to wait for secondary feathers and crowing? When do you typically "know" the roo is a roo?

Thanks
Lady of McCamley

Photos below of my little hatch and entrance ticket into the "Buckeye Club."

Left bird was rescued from getting chilled with a "stupid chick trick" and reintegrated the first day of hatch; right chick was my shrink wrap rescue assisted hatch, I had to chip the poor thing out and kept it in a brooder for a couple of days, then reintegrated...both seem to be doing fine now.

Four little Buckeyes all in a row
big_smile.png

Sydney won Reserve Champion American in the Junior class today with a buckeye cock in Lucasville, OH. The buckeyes fell just short in the open being one of the best 3 birds if the class! It was a good day filled with fun and friends.....one thing that I really appreciated was the judge in the open wanting buckeyes to be darker?!?! I love a DARK buckeye and it was nice to hear a judge echo the same comments!! I personally enjoyed the comments regarding "this is how a buckeye should be built......nice bird!"
Congrats! It's great to see the Buckeyes doing so well in the show ring. I'm partial to darker birds myself, with both the Buckeyes and RIR, they just look better darker IMO. Keep up the good work!

Well, success at last...I managed to get 4 hatchlings out of my dozen shipped eggs (with an assisted hatch even on one of them)...so to date I've got 4, count them 4, Buckeye chicks hatched this week by my broody Silkie.

Curious now, I've heard Buckeyes are harder to sex than some breeds...what signs are particular to this breed...or do I need to wait for secondary feathers and crowing? When do you typically "know" the roo is a roo?

Thanks
Lady of McCamley

Photos below of my little hatch and entrance ticket into the "Buckeye Club."

Left bird was rescued from getting chilled with a "stupid chick trick" and reintegrated the first day of hatch; right chick was my shrink wrap rescue assisted hatch, I had to chip the poor thing out and kept it in a brooder for a couple of days, then reintegrated...both seem to be doing fine now.

Four little Buckeyes all in a row
big_smile.png

Congrats on your hatch! They are adorable and look so happy and healthy in spite of the bumps. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom