The Buckeye Thread

Walt, I've watched one of my broody hens beat the tar out of a hawk (twice her size) that was after her chicks once. I've watched one of my brave cockerels attack a mongoose that was after the hens. They were not Buckeye chickens, but still, give them some credit, there are heroes out there. They may not always win, but some of them can put up a darn good fight
smile.png

I don't know how they survived an encounter with a mongoose, but lucky chicken. Most predators attack at night and it is done in a few seconds. I raise Asils and O Shamo's .....some of the toughest chickens around and they don't last when a predator shows up. The Shamo's males are as big as 17 lbs. People on here also say that their chickens have killed foxes. Well the foxes here kill Sebastopol geese that weigh 20 lbs. These are lovely stories, but chickens just don't do well fighting predators as a whole.

Here is an O Shamo female with a rat. this is not a mouse, but a rat and this females is 11lbs. A predator would take her out in seconds.

Walt

Walt, do your birds often carry you around by your neck ?

I had a gamecock kill a red tail hawk trying to avoid death. He stroked the hawk in the head.
I've also had multiple game hens chase hawks off protecting biddies..... But the rule of thumb is that chicken is on everything's menu.....sucks to be a chicken ;)

All in all, chicken vs. Predator, the predator wins. I had a Silver Ameraucana roo that gave his life fending off a raccoon one night a couple years ago. The coon got a bunch of ducks, but failed to get any chicken except the roo. I could see the trail where the roo fought the coon from the coop to the woods, but ultimately the coon overcame, of course. He died valiantly doing his job, and this was when the silvers still had a very gamey personality. He's lucky he lasted long enough to get the coon away from the coop, well, I was lucky too!

Roo vs hawk... I can see it, once in a while, but odds favor the hawk. Roo vs. Fox or bigger? No way. Smaller 4 legged predators, maybe on a good day with a lot of luck.

All in all, chicken vs. Predator, the predator wins. I had a Silver Ameraucana roo that gave his life fending off a raccoon one night a couple years ago. The coon got a bunch of ducks, but failed to get any chicken except the roo. I could see the trail where the roo fought the coon from the coop to the woods, but ultimately the coon overcame, of course. He died valiantly doing his job, and this was when the silvers still had a very gamey personality. He's lucky he lasted long enough to get the coon away from the coop, well, I was lucky too!

Roo vs hawk... I can see it, once in a while, but odds favor the hawk. Roo vs. Fox or bigger? No way. Smaller 4 legged predators, maybe on a good day with a lot of luck.

Reading battle signs can be tricky. What might have looked to you as the Silver giving battle might quite likely best be described as the coon dragging the bird by the head while it flapped valiantly or hysterically to get away.

I'm a coon hunter and I've seen coons whip some pretty big dogs...right out whip them and often after being taken out of a tree with a firearm. I'm reticent to believe any chicken put up enough battle to force a coon away from anything or place. The coon might have already had enough or was scared off by human scent but no chicken is gonna' rout a coon, not even a half grown one.

This could ugly..so I stop...right here...
hugs.gif

Turk

Never said forced the coon away... Said fought and got it away. I dunno about the coons in you parts, but around here, I have never seen one carry any prey away. Decapicate and eat the crop fillings and chest cavity on the spot is their MO here.

Yes, though, I too have seen a coon whoop a dog or two in my time. I've also see a lone cat knock the crap out of two coons at once.

Thread seems to be veering off course, I think. That said, my Buckeye roos are sissies and run from everything you throw into the coop.

Last edited:
Hello All,

I just stumbled upon the Buckeye breed and am looking for a source for fertilized eggs. I live on Buckeye Creek in Nevada, so I thought this breed should be represented on our property. Does anybody have a source with eggs available? I'd like to hatch some out before it gets too cold, but will wait until spring if I need to.

Thanks!

You might have a rough time finding eggs this time of year. Most breeders seem to stop penning them up before this time. If you do find a source, make sure to research before buying. You could end up with a lot of work ahead of you if you don't!

You may be able to find some started birds this time of year more easily than eggs.

Yes, you can get a chicken on occasion that will try to defend their flock and/or babies, but it is not the norm and you can make the blanket statement that all birds of a breed are the same personality or temperament.
As for being mousers, some people think that means Buckeyes will go hunt for mice like cats do. Not true. Most chickens will go after any little thing that hops or skitters and peck at it out of curiousity. They learn that some of those things are yummy and will more aggressively go after them. Even our beloved Buckeyes vary in temperament based on their breeding (mostly).

cream puff, that all being said, the Buckeye is, in my book, the perfect dual purpose breed if you get a good line of them. I realize your options are limited, but they are just an all-around wonderful breed to have, especially here in the Northern parts ;) I have had several breeds and they really do hold up better in both hot and cold weather better than any other I have had.
Good luck with yours when you get them!

thanks Minnie, I am definately looking into them, I was thinking of a mixed flock with sussex's and buckeyes and maybe australorps. I figure I can watch them all together and compare.

thanks Minnie, I am definately looking into them, I was thinking of a mixed flock with sussex's and buckeyes and maybe australorps. I figure I can watch them all together and compare.

Good idea. You have to like/love what you end up choosing and the best way to figure it out is to pick a couple breeds. Research and raise them and see what you think. I've had five different types and settled on the buckeye.

Back
Top Bottom