The Buckeye Thread

We are here to teach and inform. Maybe you should tell us what this particular line is so those who are new or seeking an additional line are aware of possible issues they may encounter!! All of this ssshhhhh?!?! We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings is ridiculous....what about the person that loses their hard earned money and time for that matter? What ever happened to helping the newbie or little guy staying informed? It is what it is....maybe people should pay better attention to what the heck they are doing!!!!

Joe, my brother bought the birds originally. I gave him your email address and he will let you know where they came from. You can do with the information what you wish.

Turk

I can honestly say that I have never had a single comb pop up from my pure Buckeyes. I did some crossing back to Dark Cornish on some 4 years ago and got a couple from the F1, but not since.

I've read the writings of the lady who started the breed, that was very interesting and as a newbie it totally helped so that I wont get totally ripped off again (like I did when I bought my first silkie - I didn't know what a prolapsed vent looked like... people can be jerks to knowingly sell a sick chicken)

I know to look for the pea comb but when it comes to shape I need to see a real live one that is to standard.

Here's another question how do they taste? I want them for meat and eggs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read the writings of the lady who started the breed, that was very interesting and as a newbie it totally helped so that I wont get totally ripped off again (like I did when I bought my first silkie - I didn't know what a prolapsed vent looked like... people can be jerks to knowingly sell a sick chicken)

I know to look for the pea comb but when it comes to shape I need to see a real live one that is to standard.

Here's another question how do they taste? I want them for meat and eggs.

If you go to links on that page you referenced and go to the blog spot there is a understanding the SOP page which gives photos as examples. If that doesn't help I will try and find some examples of what I consider as close to SOP as I can get.

They lay really well, as long as they aren't going broody. I've always got 3-4 trying sit on invisible eggs. They have pretty meaty chests too, so mmm mmm good.

Buckeyes are very tasty and lay nice eggs. I can always count on them. I haven't had a broody issue with mine except twice.

I can tell you that they don't taste like store bought or even home grown cornish cross. They have a lot more dark meat and a lot more flavor. Because they are not babies when you eat them, you do have to cook them a little different. Slow and low is the key for a great meal.

Back
Top Bottom