The Buckeye Thread

I have some Buckeye pullets on order from Cackle that are supposed to arrive next week!
They are supposed to be originally sourced from Lay breeding line, but not sure how long ago. I ordered from Cackle last year, some White Rock cockerels to try for fryers and three Wheaten Marans. They sent an extra of each. The Marans were very nice birds, the sizes were very different, one was nice and large, one small, one medium, the extra got out of the fence and was killed by my dogs. :( I really liked them, nice birds, but had to reduce the feed bill and the birds that didn't fit my original plan of dual purpose birds got rehomed first. After my experiences with the Marans I'm expecting a variable size/weight difference with the Buckeye pullets. My plan is to keep the biggest ones for crossing into my current flock, and rehome the rest. If I like them well enough, I'll put money aside for some proper Buckeyes from a reputable breeder.
If they're from Jeff Lay's line, you're getting the best of the best, although, as you said, who knows how many generations ago.
One thing that Jeff taught me last year is to avoid chipmunks. You want a solid colour on the chicks. I only got a couple that didn't have the chipmunk markings, so back to the drawing board again this year.

My one Buckeye from Meyer Hatchery. She's a nice chicken, none of mine are lap pets. She's a terrific forager on free range, not on top or on bottom of the pecking order. I just wanted a variety of chickens and picked a Buckeye for their hardiness. Wind is blowing her feathers in this picture, they don't stick out like that! She had those speckles as a youngster too, this picture she's about 9 months. Her name is Becky Buckeye. View attachment 1712943
She's got a really nice line. I have too much of an upward slope at the tail that I need to work on.

Exactly! I've tried asking on some poultry fb groups for opinions on Buckeyes from different hatcheries and all I got were suggestions and opinions for other dual purpose birds, like Delawares.. If I were looking for other breeds I wouldn't be asking specifically about Buckeyes! There's a reason I want to try them out!!!! Some people just don't get it....
There are numerous Buckeye associations on Facebook. Jeff Lay runs one simply called Buckeye Chickens.

Let us see pictures when you get them! Curious how well they do in the heat of AZ, I've read they don't do well in the heat, but maybe that's humid-heat back east. That's why my order last summer I ordered 1 each of different breeds to see what I liked & didn't like about each one. I do like the Buckeye, but she hasn't gone through our hot summers yet. We get close to 100 in the summer and close to 0 in the winter, but summer is very short here and we have lots of trees & shade & cool temps at night. Keep us posted!
Mine definitely felt the heat a lot more than the chanteclers. Anything higher than 25c and they we laying around with their wings outstretched and panting. They fared fine in -40c/f. Definitely a winter hardy breed.

What I like about BYC is how much I learn! I went back to look at chick pictures and my Becky Buckeye was not a chipmunk! Of course, I'm not breeding purebreds, but it's nice to hear that she's pretty good for a hatchery chick! Here she is with a shocked broody hen that woke up to 8 chicks under her, 8 different colors. Little Becky is the gold one in front.
P1210992.JPG

I have some Buckeye pullets on order from Cackle that are supposed to arrive next week!
They are supposed to be originally sourced from Lay breeding line, but not sure how long ago. I ordered from Cackle last year, some White Rock cockerels to try for fryers and three Wheaten Marans. They sent an extra of each. The Marans were very nice birds, the sizes were very different, one was nice and large, one small, one medium, the extra got out of the fence and was killed by my dogs. :( I really liked them, nice birds, but had to reduce the feed bill and the birds that didn't fit my original plan of dual purpose birds got rehomed first. After my experiences with the Marans I'm expecting a variable size/weight difference with the Buckeye pullets. My plan is to keep the biggest ones for crossing into my current flock, and rehome the rest. If I like them well enough, I'll put money aside for some proper Buckeyes from a reputable breeder.
They say they have been breeding them since 2009

Let us see pictures when you get them! Curious how well they do in the heat of AZ, I've read they don't do well in the heat, but maybe that's humid-heat back east. That's why my order last summer I ordered 1 each of different breeds to see what I liked & didn't like about each one. I do like the Buckeye, but she hasn't gone through our hot summers yet. We get close to 100 in the summer and close to 0 in the winter, but summer is very short here and we have lots of trees & shade & cool temps at night. Keep us posted!
They do fine in all climates. They just need shade and fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom