• Other Hatchery

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • BYC member

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 32 29.1%

• Total voters
Pics
Buffs don't fly. Usually it's only the call duck/bantams that fly. Update on my 5 buff ducks, picked up at the local co-op who ordered from Ideal. Four of them are white pekin and one looks like a runner/pekin cross - it has the fawn colors, stands up taller and with a more wedge-shaped face, but has the extreme curled up tail like a pekin. I still haven't gotten over it. I'm a little agitated about the whole thing.

I am thinking of hatching out a dozen Buff eggs? anyone have them for meat or eggs? I would use them for both? also how does the breed generally get along with other chicken/ducks?

Hi alscats,

I have not used buffs for meat, but they are excellent layers! They pump out eggs like there's no tomorrow LOL! My 3 are very fiesty towards my chickens and have attacked them several times. I suppose this could be because they were not raised together! All in all, they're a sweet and funny breed that will keep you laughing every day!

We love our buffs too, not quite to laying stage but I'm waiting for the morning I find them! (EASTER!) I imagine they are an exceptional meat producer as well....our plan is to allow our ducks to breed/brood as they please and once we hit 10+ birds start butchering to keep an even amount at or around 10....we also have a trio of runners im hoping to avoid much hatching of those but any excess runners we have we will be sending to local 4H show homes

What did that young duck turn out to be? Buff or buff mutt? Yes, their bills can be different colors, dark to yellow. Just as others, it means nothing. We do love our little buffs, they are very comical, only have a boy and girl, but they are a tight couple and although HE tends to cheat on her, she is pretty loyal LOL! And no, they can only fly across the driveway a foot off the ground, so no worries there. The male has produced some really pretty ducklings, everyone loves them, even tho they may be pekin mix, they pick up some of those lovely tan feathers. You can usually tell which eggs are theirs if you have pekins, they tend to be a bit smaller, but they are hatched very hardy, have never lost one yet. They seem to be not as tamable as the pekins, but they do all get along fine and stay with the flock. All in all, a good breed, and I can't talk about meat because we don't eat ours, but have heard they are a real good dual purpose bird. They do have a different personality than the pekins for sure, and the male is VERY vocal. He quacks away all day long! Good luck to all of you, you will enjoy them, a very peaceful, if not all that friendly, bird. And the females, such a lovely, lovely buff color, so pretty and soft. Good for pillows I suppose!

HI! i ended up with a buff Drake by accident this spring (his name is Gideon) and i LOVE him! so much that i would like to find a Lady buff orpington duck for him. i am located in the northern panhandle of Idaho. anyone here looking to sell a couple females?

Back
Top Bottom