• Other Hatchery

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • BYC member

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 32 29.1%

• Total voters
Pics
These ducks are gorgeous! Ours is approximately 2 months old and such a charichter! Boy? Girl? How do I tell with Orpingtons? Name is Coraline, unless she is a he then it will be Corleone. Tee hee hee

Last edited:
These ducks are gorgeous! Ours is approximately 2 months old and such a charichter! Boy? Girl? How do I tell with Orpingtons? Name is Coraline, unless she is a he then it will be Corleone. Tee hee hee
Quacks my female Buffs are loud and tail curl when drakes get around 3- 4 months old but quacks will give it away before then. Drakes quack raspy and quietly. Females don't know quiet. lol

My 2 female Buffs do a honking thing to a one syllable honk. One is petite the other is shaped like a Pekin both pure Buffs. lol
900x900px-LL-f219b696_007.jpeg
Not even 2 months old here. they will be a year end of this month.
What are your black ducks in this pic? Do they follow your Buffs around like shadows? I have a 2 months old buff and a black **** not sure what she is. Blackie follows Coraline like she's a shadow. I do believe that blackie wouldn't know how to do a thing without Coraline! Lol

What are your black ducks in this pic? Do they follow your Buffs around like shadows? I have a 2 months old buff and a black **** not sure what she is. Blackie follows Coraline like she's a shadow. I do believe that blackie wouldn't know how to do a thing without Coraline! Lol
They are Runners and they were all hatched together. So the Buffs most of the time bring up the rear because the Runners? they run. lol But the Buffs usually lead the way into the house every night .They try their best to keep up though they don't know they are Buffs.
wink.png
Blackie is so pretty Love Black Swedish.

My two buffs and two ducklings I don't know age or species, their owner had a stroke so I'm taking care of them because they were alone at his house for 4 days when I found out. My buffs quack at night and I think it's because I take them in at night since they don't have a roof or house. I try to leave them out until later when it's warmer but they quack as soon as the sun sets, how do I transition them to sleeping outside once they're house/secure pen is built? It's urgent quacking like when they see cats not their usual quacks and they don't run away when I collect them like they usually do any other time I enter their area. Also what does head bobing mean? They did this before the baby's came into the picture too. i always attend to them when they quack in a urgent way incase an animal is near but as babies they made urgent noises when they didn't have a blanket on top of their brooder (red tote) and stopped when they got it. Or if the blanket fell in their tote it was crazy noises until I got it out and fixed it.

They look to you for protection right now.  They are so pretty.  I love my Buffs and they make the cutest honking noise it's like a one syllable  quack when they are ready to go to bed in the evening, and when they get a special treats in the evening when everyone else is up for the night [Duck soup] I take all left over feed and mix with water my Buffs and Runners love it.  They make a moaning sound like they are in pure duckie heaven.

Be sure to keep those pics coming.  Is Cal ranch like a TSC? Love you BYC name too very appropriate  but do you really think you can stop at 2?  :lol:

@Twosapair

I'm not sure what TSC is but it's a farmer/rancher supply store. I live in the city so I can't get too many but when I have my own land I will definitely get more. I love watching them run and flap their wings.
2764.png
this is their temp 2 foot tall play pen, their next one is going to be 12x6 with 6 foot high chicken wire and a roof. Plus a wood house with a attached small area inside that for night time since chicken wire isn't as strong I'll use that grid stuff that's stronger to buy more time from bigger predators. Like loose dogs around here. They'll be right out my window.

My two buffs and two ducklings I don't know age or species, their owner had a stroke so I'm taking care of them because they were alone at his house for 4 days when I found out. My buffs quack at night and I think it's because I take them in at night since they don't have a roof or house. I try to leave them out until later when it's warmer but they quack as soon as the sun sets, how do I transition them to sleeping outside once they're house/secure pen is built? It's urgent quacking like when they see cats not their usual quacks and they don't run away when I collect them like they usually do any other time I enter their area. Also what does head bobing mean? They did this before the baby's came into the picture too. i always attend to them when they quack in a urgent way incase an animal is near but as babies they made urgent noises when they didn't have a blanket on top of their brooder (red tote) and stopped when they got it. Or if the blanket fell in their tote it was crazy noises until I got it out and fixed it.
They are beautiful, so sweet of you to take in the 2 that had no one to care for them they look like they have settled right in.

I'm not sure what TSC is but it's a farmer/rancher supply store. I live in the city so I can't get too many but when I have my own land I will definitely get more. I love watching them run and flap their wings.
2764.png
this is their temp 2 foot tall play pen, their next one is going to be 12x6 with 6 foot high chicken wire and a roof. Plus a wood house with a attached small area inside that for night time since chicken wire isn't as strong I'll use that grid stuff that's stronger to buy more time from bigger predators. Like loose dogs around here. They'll be right out my window.
Tractor Supply is TSC. Yes having something very secure is important if we expect to keep our flocks safe. We cannot say that enough. Chicken wire does nothing to keep preds out.

As for the loud quacking security means everything to ducklings/water fowl so they are scared when it gets dark because instinct tells them this is when predators come out. and when they lose their blanket they feel more vulnerable having the security of the blanket makes them feel safe.Bring them in before dark [it only takes a sec for heart ache]

Head bobbing is flirting a happy way of saying they like you or another one of their flock.

Their almost finished pen, for when I work 14 hours shifts and this is their pool that I emptied in the pool hole. Still don't have a proper house for them but they have some DIYs with all my warmest and softest blankets. 2nd night sleeping outside. Babies came in yesterday but they've got a way better set up tonight so I think theyll be fine. It got down to 62 In the first house. Still doing temp Checks twice a night since I'm a new "duck mom" lol but what is the min temperature I should have them in with no wind?

Their almost finished pen, for when I work 14 hours shifts and this is their pool that I emptied in the pool hole. Still don't have a proper house for them but they have some DIYs with all my warmest and softest blankets. 2nd night sleeping outside. Babies came in yesterday but they've got a way better set up tonight so I think theyll be fine. It got down to 62 In the first house. Still doing temp Checks twice a night since I'm a new "duck mom" lol but what is the min temperature I should have them in with no wind?
4-6weeks? 65* maybe 60 if in a shelter with no wind. Once their big feathers are in they are good to go.

Hey make sure you have something up like hard ware cloth for security anything else a raccoon can reach through and grab and most ducks love sleeping up next to a fence.

Looks like your making great progress on their house just remember security and ventilation are 2 very important parts of keeping them safe and healthy. over and around for security.

They have become one flock which is awesome. Are you keeping the 2 you took in? @Twosapair

Back
Top Bottom