The building of Pea Palace(Pic Heavy)

Ahhh....
The Thang once again shows his flair for making a personal statement.
You go, Thang!!!
clap.gif

Is it a corner post like this? I am worried that my boys will mess up their trains on this if they get up here but luckily the peahens are mainly the ones using it.

Haunted,Thang can feel the love bubbles your emitting for him. I havn't yet decided what Thang will do for earning his keep this coming 2014 breeding season.He may go in an "overflow" pen just because of his hatred for humans.Outta sight,,,outta mind,so to speak.I've got to build breeding pens for Peach,White,and still hoping for Violetta's. Maybe a Purple b/s pen too. A few more 4x4 posts and another pen is easy to build.

Had to revive this old thread cause theres more building taking place. Got my 24 chain link panels home tonight. Each is 8'high, 12' long so getting some quick pens up should be easy. Pics coming if Easter don't ruin too much of my building time

I had one pen under the netting that was not yet finished. Well, now it is with 5 birds in it. 3 peahens are just coming 2 year olds so I'm not expecting too much,nor too big of a work load for the bssp male. But I still need at least 4 more breeder pens. For simplicity since I have a 50x50 top net to use,I'm going to build on the west side of Pea Palace. The Austrees has grown so much this area willonly be 40' long,but still can be 50' the other way.

You know I thought recently about a super awesome pen design where have a row of pens with the sheds, then behind that would be a door that opened up to one huge aviary so that in the off season you could open it up and keep all of the birds in the large aviary behind all of the breeder pens. That would give the breeder pens a break and also let all of the birds hang out together. I think that is the kind of setup I want someday. Also during the breeding season, each week a different pen would have access to the large aviary so say one week the large aviary was opened up to the white breeder pen, then the next week it would be closed to them but open to the pen next door to them.

The Big Cat Rescue's vacation rotation large pen is a lot of inspiration and also what zoos do with rotation exhibits. I always liked the idea of those type of setups.

Last edited:
Minx,none of my birds are mixed, or allowed to mingle with others. I have 13 breeding aged Peacocks and whites and peach yet to build pens for this year,and none of my breeding aged males get around each other. They stay in thier individual breeding groups all year around. I keep all 3 of my IB males together and do add Thang with them in the winter,since they're used to his antics, but the rest of my males only looks at each other thru pen fences or inside building pen petitions. Before I would allow so many b/s peahens all to intermingle I'd have to check wingbands are all in place. Too many of mine are cookie cutter identical. I am considering making another building, maybe a 14x40 with two seperate rooms inside to house young,growing yearlings. I have the necessary sheet metal but it's the time factor again when your doing everything yourself.

Back
Top Bottom