The Calico/Aloha/Mottled Naked Neck Thread

Same here I don't bring in new birds, only eggs. Well except for a few day olds as company to singles and from a trusted source.

Last edited:
I just posted another dozen of the spotty NN eggs on Ebay. Reminder for everyone, as I will probably break up the pen by March. That first dozen went for like $70 but the next sold for just $17, so I will probably break up the pen in a couple weeks so I can work with my next Aloha project.

I have another dozen or so newborn NN chicks, plus the 23 that I kept from the previous hatch, plus the 28 with my neighbor, plus a couple dozen "leftover" NN eggs in the incubator now. (I'd ship buyers the freshest eggs, and incubate the older leftover eggs from auctions.)

And there is my friend's cool NN rooster in Tucson, and another friend up here in Phoenix has a SUPER colorful hen. She also has a small breeder pen open. I may keep my three favorite hens from the current breeder pen, and send them over to her house when I get the NN rooster from Tucson, and do a "last hurrah" for the season with a new rooster combo.

Anyway, just an FYI, that if you like this rooster / hens combo, we probably only have a couple more weeks left on this breeder pen.

You can totally build up on your own using that one Mottled Aloha rooster left and using your Mottled carriers there. It will just take longer, that's all.

And I am going to keep a few of the NN hens around here, just going to pare down to my favorites. The rooster here will go back over the fence to the neighbor, most likely. The hens that I keep will go back in the "general flock" of Alohas. I was hoping if the egg prices stayed high, maybe I could convince a local person to specialize in them, but it's hard, Turkens are their own unique "thing" and people either love them or hate them. LOL!

I love these two hens in particular:

These would make great Alohas and half the chicks will have the "regular" neck feathering once they go in with the Aloha roosters again.

So, unless I found someone wanting to keep the project intact and work with the spotty NN's, I'll just keep my favorite hens and re-home the extra girls.

Last edited:
I got some eggs from alohachickens as a shipping and fertility test before the auction (earlier than the three week waiting period, so there may be some non-NN daddy parentage) - and while the post office was VERY VERY VERY VERY mean to the package, 12 eggs survived to make it into lock down. While nothing is for sure, because of the shipping damage to the air cells...

Ladies and Gentlemen, WE HAVE A PIP!!!

I'm trying not to get too excited/get my hopes up, but it would be VERY cool to get some healthy chicks out of this batch...
- Ant Farm

You can totally build up on your own using that one Mottled Aloha rooster left and using your Mottled carriers there. It will just take longer, that's all. And I am going to keep a few of the NN hens around here, just going to pare down to my favorites. The rooster here will go back over the fence to the neighbor, most likely. The hens that I keep will go back in the "general flock" of Alohas. I was hoping if the egg prices stayed high, maybe I could convince a local person to specialize in them, but it's hard, Turkens are their own unique "thing" and people either love them or hate them. LOL! I love these two hens in particular: These would make great Alohas and half the chicks will have the "regular" neck feathering once they go in with the Aloha roosters again. So, unless I found someone wanting to keep the project intact and work with the spotty NN's, I'll just keep my favorite hens and re-home the extra girls.
Both hens look great, I'd give anything if my beauty had lived to lay and been able to hatch her eggs. But it is what it is.
I got some eggs from alohachickens as a shipping and fertility test before the auction (earlier than the three week waiting period, so there may be some non-NN daddy parentage) - and while the post office was VERY VERY VERY VERY mean to the package, 12 eggs survived to make it into lock down. While nothing is for sure, because of the shipping damage to the air cells... [COLOR=0000FF]Ladies and Gentlemen, WE HAVE A PIP!!![/COLOR] I'm trying not to get too excited/get my hopes up, but it would be VERY cool to get some healthy chicks out of this batch... - Ant Farm [COLOR=0000FF] [/COLOR]
Fingers crossed for 12 spotty Naked Neck babies.

Meet the newbies. 61 of them. Some are going to be Mottled and some Aloha. Not sure of the exact count if each right now as I still have a few more trying to hatch. These are the one pulled this afternoon.

I do have some that turned out fully feathered, but that's okay, because they'll make good ( tge pullets) laying hens and maybe I can come up with a NN rooster for them that will guarantee me some NN babies. I do have such a rooster right now, but he's not mottled not an Aloha.

Last edited:

Here is a cute chick I'm raising who is from the same eggs that I sent Fire Ant Farm. Hoping for hen.

She looks almost exactly like my Greta. I am behind on photos - It's not all the chicks' fault, I haven't had the chance to organize the photos I have. But my kids look a lot like these...

My other NNs are well behaved and friendly, so I was surprised at the tussling with these boys. I'm hoping they will settle down. Here's hoping no one is human aggressive, as that won't really fly here. I will culling most or all of the Cream Legbar boys in this group in several weeks, and they are maturing early (crowed at 3 weeks, and one tried to mount a pullet yesterday at 6 weeks) - it could be that that is a trigger. We will see how they do after the change...

- Ant Farm

Well the Aloha rooster that I have, I think is a lot of Leghorn and original Banty bloodlines. Possibly some New Hampshire. His shape is a lot like the Leghorn though but slightly bigger than a Leghorn rooster. I don't think he can fro. The NN lines at all.

All this to say he has become aggressive toward some humans. He's jump at my SIL twice and yesterday a young boy came running by his pen and he jumped at the wire and that us the only thing that prevented him from actually attacking the boy. So the ingredients are there for aggression.

I'm happy to say that he has never offered to jump in me. I'm guessing that maybe because I raised him and taken care of him his whole life.

Back
Top Bottom