The Calico/Aloha/Mottled Naked Neck Thread

When I got my fencing (Kencove), I just bought the solar charger - but that was because I knew that I would need to move it around outside with a tractor, without access to a plug or extension cord. Not cheap, unfortunately, but the wired one wouldn't have made sense for me... Are you at the point of sitting up at night to catch them in the act? (Or recruiting friends/family to do so?) And, forgive my bluntness, but - hopefully whacking them on the head repeatedly until they stop moving?!?! :lol:
Regardless, I'm crossing all my fingers and toes for you to get those buggers. It seems like they manage to target your best birds. :barnie

:fl :fl :fl :fl :fl :fl :fl :fl :fl

- Ant Farm

Not yet on the sitting up. I having trouble sleeping as it is, but if they continue I may have too.

That's why I've got the traps, noting comes out alive if they actually get inside of them. A 20 gauge shotgun takes care of the clubbing.

If they find their way in tonight I'm going to try sitting out tomorrow night. I hope I don't have to do the shooting, can't see very well in the daylight don't know what I'd hit at night.

I didn't think of everything before I posted this.

I wasn't thinking of the Buff (hatchery) Turkens. Some reason I was thinking about the color of the Buff Brahmas. I didn't want to use feather legged birds, but that color. The dark stripes at the back if the neck area. Well if Turkens were fully feathered then it would be there. I just didn't think ahead.

It would be a good project though if someone wanted to create that color in a breed of chickens that it doesn't exist.

The buff Columbian ( black tailed buff) are getting harder to come by. A lot if the hatcheries are breeding to more colors than ever and that and the classic red are less and less coming in the batches they send out.

Okay the Columbian Rocks that Yard full o' rocks bred from Light Brahmas, are they the silver then. That is the line that Cackle is now carrying.
Is the Wyandotte (Columbian) not based on silver then?

With the current inventory diwn here due to a the predators, I'm looking around for the right colors to get my calico NN going better.
Spangled, Buff Columbian, mottled, etc.

Hey what do you think about adding some mottled java blood. Do young think that the body type is too wrong for a NN?

Overly simple answer is almost everything black and white patterned is silver.

Light brahma, columbian wyandotte, columbian rock, silver duckwing, birchen modern game are all Silver.

The non- silver counterparts respectively are: buff brahma, black tail buff wyandotte and rock, red duckwing, brown red modern game.

A huge percentage of hatchery NN are still coming out buff black tail hens and medium red roosters with black tails. Are they a wrong color for your project? I picked up a bunch of hatchery stock turken pullet chicks from the feedstore a couple months ago, they are coming up black tail buff or black although the one cockerel is surprising me by turning out a mix of white/buff and one pullet is strangely colored.

If you like the javas, go for them.. It is your project so use what works best for you. Have you checked out the pinta asturianas(spelling??) there is a thread on here for them, seems to be a strongly mottled breed.

I have mottled Houdans , hadn't thought about it until now but if I crossed a rooster with my black NN hen I may get mottled chicks with the Houdans comb which I like for winter.

She is not mottled, I think she is silver which is causing the light areas but has modifier genes that 'fight' the effects of silver to put in some brown/red pigments in.

I didn't think she was, but I have some crazy pattern mixes so just checking

Back
Top Bottom