The Calico/Aloha/Mottled Naked Neck Thread

Pics
I was going to try to get pictures today, but it is storming really bad today and the rest of the week looks like more if the same.
We've been under tornado warnings today and continues until 1:00 pm which is about another 1/2 hour.

Maybe I'll get some New Years pictures.

Meanwhile here's one to enjoy:

Sorry they aren't mottled and they don't carry the mottling gene either, but they are really cute and very special to me.

My three grandsons. Expecting a fourth grandchild this coming July.

This photo belongs to @OldChurchEggery1

Found this lovely lady over in the Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread.

I'd love to have about 10 that looks like her.
This gal IS lovely - for sure! However, she carries blue, so she may not actually have all that much mottling!

The issue with the Swedish is when they carry blue, it can make splash, and the splash lightens the black to the point it looks white, so some Swedish that appear spotty may only have as much actual white spotting as a Sussex hen - or even sometimes less. This hen, for example, has far less Mottling than most Sussex, and less than many Javas that I've seen:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2rTn7Zumq...qHU/s1600/Black+Swedish+Flower+Hen+Pullet.jpg

It's not that it's unattractive, she is a gorgeous girl. It's just my original idea (that a Swedish was a really super-spotty breed of chicken) was totally incorrect. It's a nice chicken that has some mottling. But to date, it seems spots are not really the breed's focus.

I still love the Swedish but I wish they had stronger white spotting. But that's basically what I'm trying to correct with the Alohas!

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say, is watch out for the blue on Swedish, don't confuse it with white spots. If you want to see the "real" white on a line of Swedish, look ONLY at the ones with black and no blue. Example, look at this Swedish hen, who has very little white, but lots of dots of black that (if they were turned to Splash) could be mistaken for white spots:

http://www.backroadsliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Following-Along-4.jpg

While this hen has more actual white spotting:

http://kmvfarm.com/kmv/e107_images/dark mille 660.jpg

And this plain old Speckled Sussex has more white than any of them!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8zytZYhF3mg/U1F2IGnvOHI/AAAAAAAAwNA/7nwEf4OHJF0/s1600/4-16-14+(304).JPG

I think the Swedish are most helpful for introducing the Mille color (gold / black / white) when crossed with Speckled Sussex. A good "super spotty" Sussex will add the Mottling, but you need that gold from the Swedish.

Last edited:
Great news for Calico Naked Neck fans - I've finally got a breeder pen set up!

I don't have my friend Deb's rooster yet. She lives about 2 hours away, and has a lovely Mille rooster (named Robin) that I was going to borrow. However, my neighbor had this rooster that was available:

Good things about him:

*Not located two hours away! LOL. (Raised from chicks I gave the neighbor next door.)

*Great size! His Dad was a Speckled Sussex / Buff Sussex cross, that was GINORMOUS.

Here's the daddy:

Sadly, the daddy roo broke his leg (you can see the odd angle here) and had to be put down. He jumped off a high perch and he was actually so massive his leg could not support him.

So this Turken guy is very big, very wide. Has a surprising amount of white, considering how little Mottling the dad showed.

The bad part about this rooster:

*Color is very dark, too similar to Sussex.

*Pink legs, like a Sussex.

I don't want these Aloha Naked Necks to look like Sussex Naked Necks. I want them to display "new" colors that you can't get in a flock of Sussex. Colors like red and white spotted, Mille, etc.

But, the spotty NN's of mine are a bit small - being as Alohas are small - so hopefully the best chicks will take on the unique colors from the Moms and the larger size from the Dad?

Anyway, the breeder pen was set up a couple days ago. I need to give it a few weeks, to make sure the other rooster's DNA clears out of there, and then the eggs will go on Ebay and I'll be able to see what kind of interest these spotty naked necks will have with the general chicken-loving public?

Later this month (or next) there will be a trip to Tucson to pick up Robin (the smaller NN rooster who has the exciting Mille color!) Then Robin will be put in there, for his turn with the ladies!

I will be hatching chicks from this pen in the meantime. I will keep some, but a lot will go to my next door neighbor, where I can still have access to any chicks that show good color.

Since most of these NN's only carry one copy of the gene, of course there will be "regular" Alohas in here too. I'm hoping the BIG rooster will help improve size and type in those babies. Can't wait to see!

Last edited:

Wanted to re-post a few photos of the girls with the daddy. There are six Turken hens. Plus I have a few Aloha hens that I put in there for size improvement on the chicks - but those will be pulled out before I sell any eggs on Ebay. Ebay eggs will only have Turken parents.

There is also a solid Buff Turken hen and one more red mottled hen.

This will be the first breeder pen of Calico NN's.

The second breeder pen will be with Robin as the daddy!

Last edited:

This is Robin - who I will have to drive down to Tucson to get from Deb later. He will be put with the gals later.

But, I was tired of waiting to get started on this, so we'll get going with the big darker guy first and see what he throws!
jumpy.gif

I was going to try to get pictures today, but it is storming really bad today and the rest of the week looks like more if the same.
We've been under tornado warnings today and continues until 1:00 pm which is about another 1/2 hour.

Maybe I'll get some New Years pictures.

Meanwhile here's one to enjoy:

Sorry they aren't mottled and they don't carry the mottling gene either, but they are really cute and very special to me.

My three grandsons. Expecting a fourth grandchild this coming July.
But, they do have Naked Necks, so you got that. LOL.

This gal IS lovely - for sure! However, she carries blue, so she may not actually have all that much mottling! The issue with the Swedish is when they carry blue, it can make splash, and the splash lightens the black to the point it looks white, so some Swedish that appear spotty may only have as much actual white spotting as a Sussex hen - or even sometimes less. This hen, for example, has far less Mottling than most Sussex, and less than many Javas that I've seen: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2rTn7Zumq...qHU/s1600/Black+Swedish+Flower+Hen+Pullet.jpg It's not that it's unattractive, she is a gorgeous girl. It's just my original idea (that a Swedish was a really super-spotty breed of chicken) was totally incorrect. It's a nice chicken that has some mottling. But to date, it seems spots are not really the breed's focus. I still love the Swedish but I wish they had stronger white spotting. But that's basically what I'm trying to correct with the Alohas! Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say, is watch out for the blue on Swedish, don't confuse it with white spots. If you want to see the "real" white on a line of Swedish, look ONLY at the ones with black and no blue. Example, look at this Swedish hen, who has very little white, but lots of dots of black that (if they were turned to Splash) could be mistaken for white spots: http://www.backroadsliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Following-Along-4.jpg While this hen has more actual white spotting: http://kmvfarm.com/kmv/e107_images/dark mille 660.jpg And this plain old Speckled Sussex has more white than any of them! http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8zytZYhF3mg/U1F2IGnvOHI/AAAAAAAAwNA/7nwEf4OHJF0/s1600/4-16-14+(304).JPG I think the Swedish are most helpful for introducing the Mille color (gold / black / white) when crossed with Speckled Sussex. A good "super spotty" Sussex will add the Mottling, but you need that gold from the Swedish.
I remember you saying thus about blue before. You had some blue mottled that you removed from your flock because if thus. I still think that girl is beautiful.
Great news for Calico Naked Neck fans - I've finally got a breeder pen set up! I don't have my friend Deb's rooster yet. She lives about 2 hours away, and has a lovely Mille rooster (named Robin) that I was going to borrow. However, my neighbor had this rooster that was available: Good things about him: *Not located two hours away! LOL. (Raised from chicks I gave the neighbor next door.) *Great size! His Dad was a Speckled Sussex / Buff Sussex cross, that was GINORMOUS. Here's the daddy: Sadly, the daddy roo broke his leg (you can see the odd angle here) and had to be put down. He jumped off a high perch and he was actually so massive his leg could not support him. So this Turken guy is very big, very wide. Has a surprising amount of white, considering how little Mottling the dad showed. The bad part about this rooster: *Color is very dark, too similar to Sussex. *Pink legs, like a Sussex. I don't want these Aloha Naked Necks to look like Sussex Naked Necks. I want them to display "new" colors that you can't get in a flock of Sussex. Colors like red and white spotted, Mille, etc. But, the spotty NN's of mine are a bit small - being as Alohas are small - so hopefully the best chicks will take on the unique colors from the Moms and the larger size from the Dad? Anyway, the breeder pen was set up a couple days ago. I need to give it a few weeks, to make sure the other rooster's DNA clears out of there, and then the eggs will go on Ebay and I'll be able to see what kind of interest these spotty naked necks will have with the general chicken-loving public? Later this month (or next) there will be a trip to Tucson to pick up Robin (the smaller NN rooster who has the exciting Mille color!) Then Robin will be put in there, for his turn with the ladies! I will be hatching chicks from this pen in the meantime. I will keep some, but a lot will go to my next door neighbor, where I can still have access to any chicks that show good color. Since most of these NN's only carry one copy of the gene, of course there will be "regular" Alohas in here too. I'm hoping the BIG rooster will help improve size and type in those babies. Can't wait to see!
He may not have slot of white but he's still mottled ( spangled actually ). Should still make beautiful babies. I wished that I was ready for eggs from this bunch but won't be ready until about late March early April. Maybe I'll have to wait until you get eggs from the babies if thus setup.
Wanted to re-post a few photos of the girls with the daddy. There are six Turken hens. Plus I have a few Aloha hens that I put in there for size improvement on the chicks - but those will be pulled out before I sell any eggs on Ebay. Ebay eggs will only have Turken parents. There is also a solid Buff Turken hen and one more red mottled hen. This will be the first breeder pen of Calico NN's. The second breeder pen will be with Robin as the daddy!
Robin looks pretty good also. Same thing here on eggs, but maybe you'll still have eggs from him and the ladies thy iv can get eggs from. We'll see.
But, they do have Naked Necks, so you got that. LOL.
They they get it from my side if the family. Haha.

Pictures today.

Here is my red Pullet/hen from the Aloha Chickens eggs I hatched this past Easter. The only Naked Neck and only pullet I have left from them.
She is red but had a golden sheen to her. She really shines in the sunlight.
I currently have her with my Columbian/Cinnamon Naked Neck rooster. I going to pair her with my Mottled Partridge cockerel when he's ready for breeding. His pic is coming up in a moment. Plans are to cross her babies to the Spangled Aloha ( picture is coming up), or his offspring.

Next :

My Spangled Aloha rooster, Mr. Bo Spangles.
I have him in a run with three Red NN pullets along with 2 Barred pullets.
Here are the three red pullets:

Two of them.

And the third one.

I don't expect mottling or so spangling with this cross but sure to have some carriers.

Next up is my pair of mottled that I've hatched from and will get a few more from this same pairing early this spring.

Daddy

Mama.

Both the above shots are the son:
Top shows true mottling on his head and his bib. The second are if his feet and legs. Is this this typical of mottled chickens having mottled legs and feet?

These are the three pullets from this mating. They show some mottling but it is very light. It may show more a little later when they get their first molt like their mama. Regardless they should carry the mottling gene and show up on their offspring.

My plans are to put them under their sire once then under Mr. Bo Spangles.

Last edited:

Wanted to re-post a few photos of the girls with the daddy. There are six Turken hens. Plus I have a few Aloha hens that I put in there for size improvement on the chicks - but those will be pulled out before I sell any eggs on Ebay. Ebay eggs will only have Turken parents.

There is also a solid Buff Turken hen and one more red mottled hen.

This will be the first breeder pen of Calico NN's.

The second breeder pen will be with Robin as the daddy!
Are you going to post when you start the ebay auction?

Back
Top Bottom