The Complete Life Cycle of a (Mostly) Happy Rooster

It is possible to have a rooster to fill all of the roles of flock protector very well, AND be nice. Sometimes attacking humans is just the product of having a screw loose. Of course any of them can be made mean. I have two and three year old roosters that I can walk up to and pick up their hens with no problems. Won't let a predator do it, but humans are off limits. Takes a lot of breeding, and that breeding is not present in birds that have been selected for eggs, meat, fluffiness, or whatever, regardless of temperament. Most people that BREED chickens, don't deal with them in a backyard type setting. They throw a rooster that is the right color in a breeding pen with some hens, collect eggs and if they have a mean one, no big deal, throw some feed in the feeder mounted outside the pen, reach through the egg door to get eggs, and hang a clean waterer. Most times it will never be an issue if you aren't hanging out there a lot. If it does become an issue, how many hundreds of eggs from that rooster have already been put in an incubator? Most hatchery grade dual purpose breeds have a fair chance at being human aggressive if handled a lot. Many breeders simply don't handle their males any more than necessary, leave them half wild and scared of people and it is never an issue.

But, it is possible to breed human aggression out of roosters, while leaving them still quite roosterish. Also possible to handle and tame a rooster from hatching and never have any aggression issues towards his owner..
Good points. Thanks for commenting, varidgerunner.

The rooster in my story was a factory grade Barred Rock that was one of millions produced by that hatchery. I doubt that temperament was ever a factor in their breeding choices; preferring instead to focus on egg production and color.

Now that we've had chickens for several years we are much more selective about where we purchase chicks if we decide to add a new bloodline.

I told my husband I'd posted this story and he reminded me about the morality tale of my mother and her luggage. In order to further illustrate my point about the role humans play in rooster aggression, I'll tell this part, too.

My mother lived with us for the first year of The Rooster's life. My mom and I look very much alike and we sound so much alike few people can tell us apart on the phone. Right around the time The Rooster got aggressive with me he also did so with her.

I didn't want my mom to have to deal with him so I would frequently ask her to use the front door when coming/going from the house so as to avoid the fenced in portion of the back yard that contained the chickens. But, she is as stubborn as the day is long and she steadfastly refused on principle alone. "No chicken is going to decide which door I use!"

I have lost count of the number of brooms my mom broke in fighting with the rooster. Not because she ever once hit him. But because her aim was so terrible. She'd crack that broom against the house or the porch steps or even across a flower pot while wildly flailing and shrieking.

Mercifully, she moved out about the time I changed my own ways with the rooster. After she moved out she would come back to visit once or twice a year. Every time she returned The Rooster would hear her luggage wheels clacking across the bricks and he'd come running. He'd attack, she'd yell and flail, both would retreat panting and as angry as ever. Same pattern, endlessly repeated over months and then years.

Even though I explained what I'd done to change my interaction with The Rooster she absolutely would not do it. She was convinced he was a killer and she refused to admit her own role in his behavior even though dozens of other people had no problem walking right by him.

The last time she visited it was about one month after he had been dethroned by his son. She didn't realize he was nearby as she rolled the hated luggage up the walk and into the house. The Rooster was so completely demoralized by his new lowered status that he didn't even budge when the clickety-clackety lugged rolled by just a few feet away.

I confess, I felt a little sad.

Wonderfully written story and a great lesson on human awareness when relating to roosters.

The *hints had me rolling
lau.gif

Great story & very well written, I really enjoyed it & it gave me a lot to think about. Most all problems with all animals is people not knowing-understanding that animals own characteristics. I was taught that if you ever got bit by a dog, hurt by a horse, etc. it was your fault. I am 63 & have never been bit by a dog. I competed with horses for 38 years & was never injured by one. Learning the language of any animal that you own is the responsibility of the owner. I know there are mean horses, dogs, roosters but the how & why they got that way is the problem. Learning to live in their world is to be successful with animals. You did a fantastic job of learning that & passing it on to others. I love my Harry rooster & I have hatched 7 of his offspring. I have at least 2 rooster chicks. Was thinking of wanting to keep one but after reading your story my thinking was wrong. They are 5 weeks now & are just beautiful & I am so attached to them but Harry is too good of a rooster to subject him to being dethroned later on. He is a sweetheart & that would break my heart to see him done like that. So I will have to find homes for his sons. So glad I read your post....thank you, thank you.

Great story, and maybe if I adapt some of your approaches, Festus and I can negotiate a truce. The main problem now, is he's attaching his litter mate--the other Astrolorpe. Once he's penned her down, for waaay longer than the typical mating, a few of the other hens come peck on her while she's being cornered and attacked. I've been separating her a few hours a day so she can forage, drink water (they were keeping her away from the water containers). I just don't understand why now, out of nowhere, he's picking on her: she used to be his favorite.
We are trying to locate a new, safe home for him but in the meantime, I'll try your tactics. We are considering separating him from the flock for 3-4 days and observe their behavors: are they happier or more frightened without them?
Thanks so much. I didn't know where else to turn. What a wonderful community! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Great story, and maybe if I adapt some of your approaches, Festus and I can negotiate a truce. The main problem now, is he's attaching his litter mate--the other Astrolorpe. Once he's penned her down, for waaay longer than the typical mating, a few of the other hens come peck on her while she's being cornered and attacked. I've been separating her a few hours a day so she can forage, drink water (they were keeping her away from the water containers). I just don't understand why now, out of nowhere, he's picking on her: she used to be his favorite.
We are trying to locate a new, safe home for him but in the meantime, I'll try your tactics. We are considering separating him from the flock for 3-4 days and observe their behavors: are they happier or more frightened without them?
Thanks so much. I didn't know where else to turn. What a wonderful community! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
How old is he....about 5-6 months?
He's the one who needs a time out, not her.
Young cockerels are numbskulls.

Daisy8s, thank you for an amazing story! You should think about writing a short story for one of the poultry magazines. I was hanging on every word with the anticipation of a good who dunnit novel. And the helpful hints...too darn funny. But all that aside, I learned a great deal too. I just recently got my first rooster and this couldn't have come at a better time. I kind of hate roosters, don't really want a rooster, but after reading this, well, I guess I'll look at him With a lot more understanding and respect.

That was a beautiful story until you sacrificed the wonderful rooster who was just doing his job in life... you had me believing you were just as I am, a supporter of the poor roosters of the world. Now I want to throw up.

Back
Top Bottom