The coop is done....now time to work on the RUN.

You using pocket screws to attach the 2x4's in the run framing, Gridguru? Galvanized screws or??

Yes. I don't like toe-nailing (toe-screwing) the boards together as i have a hard time keeping them in exactly the right place. They always seem to shift. The pocket screws really pull the wood together tightly without shifting the position of the wood in my opinion.

I bit the bullet and used stainless steel screws. The new stuff they use for treated lumber seems to eat up everything but hot-dipped galvanized and stainless fasteners apparently. I'll be using regular galvanized staples for the screening, so i'll have to check that periodically to make sure things remain secure.

Yes. I don't like toe-nailing (toe-screwing) the boards together as i have a hard time keeping them in exactly the right place. They always seem to shift. The pocket screws really pull the wood together tightly without shifting the position of the wood in my opinion.

I bit the bullet and used stainless steel screws. The new stuff they use for treated lumber seems to eat up everything but hot-dipped galvanized and stainless fasteners apparently. I'll be using regular galvanized staples for the screening, so i'll have to check that periodically to make sure things remain secure.

I use a ton of pocket screws but I didn't even realize that there were stainless ones until now. I see what you mean by "bite the bullet". Them babies are expensive for 2 1/2!!

Pocket screws - Kreg Envy....but don't you need to use specific screws in the pockets?
Pocket screws are different then regular wood screws, but any pocket screws will work. It doesn't have to be the Kreg brand, although i generally use theirs on my projects as they are not any more expensive.

I use a ton of pocket screws but I didn't even realize that there were stainless ones until now. I see what you mean by "bite the bullet". Them babies are expensive for 2 1/2!!
Yep. Ouch!

To be honest, the stainless ones strip out WAY more often than their regular screws. Not a big fan overall.

I finished the bracing framing of the run, both the sides and the top. I also did a couple of pieces of the HW cloth.

The top is nice and level and should be set up nicely to accept the HW cloth in 4 foot sections. The rafters are 45(ish) inches apart, so with the width of each 2x4, a 48" piece of HW cloth should fit well.

Here is one section of HW cloth and an example of how i plan to do the run out. Of course i'll fill it in nicer and more fully. I have 30-40 of these pavers and a couple thousand rocks between 5" and 20" in diameter around the yard. I'll cover the run out with about 14 inches of HW cloth and rocks galore. I will probably do a once around the perimeter inside the coop as well with some yard rocks.

Does this look okay to ya'll? Any problems with this plan?

So the run is done... mostly. At least the construction part is done.

Today i built and installed the run door. I finished all of the screening over the past week.

Now comes the hard part. Moving a bunch of flagstone pavers and stones from around the yard and to put them around the inside and outside of the run.

Dude! That looks great!!! I think the rocks are a great idea. I have a pretty extensive pile of sand stone here. I plan to do the same thing inside and out. We already have a ridiculous amount of rock gardens on the property so the coop and run should fit right in.

Dude! That looks great!!! I think the rocks are a great idea. I have a pretty extensive pile of sand stone here. I plan to do the same thing inside and out. We already have a ridiculous amount of rock gardens on the property so the coop and run should fit right in.
Thanks! I am relatively happy with how the run turned out. I think the rocks and stones will look nice in the end, but man... not excited about tomorrow's job of moving them.

We took a couple of the chicks on a field trip and let them explore the run. They dug it (literally). My beagle, which has done so well peering in at them in the brooder, had a conniption seeing them in the run. Hopefully she gets used to them.

Thanks! I am relatively happy with how the run turned out. I think the rocks and stones will look nice in the end, but man... not excited about tomorrow's job of moving them.

We took a couple of the chicks on a field trip and let them explore the run. They dug it (literally). My beagle, which has done so well peering in at them in the brooder, had a conniption seeing them in the run. Hopefully she gets used to them.

I hear ya on the rocks. I have a decent stash close to the coop but the rest I'll have to load from the pile into my trailer and haul to the coop then bench press and arrange. Not looking forward to that either.

lol on the beagle. We have the brooder set up in a spare bedroom so we can have the chicks behind a closed door. Going to be interesting to see what our cat thinks of all of this.

Back
Top Bottom